One place to post

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed209

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does anybody else think it would be better to just have one section where we post instead of all the other sub sections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rodger for pointing that out I'm viewing on "Tapatalk" and it's Timeline on there.

Random Orbital Bob":34rn9kku said:
Ed209":34rn9kku said:
Is it just me or does anybody else think it would be better to just have one section where we post instead of all the other sub sections

Its just you
+1

No, if anything an extra section or two might be useful. eg machinery and beginners

I'm personally not a fan of 'beginner' sections in forums as they quite often end up with beginners teaching beginners because the more experienced people don't go there.

Chris

JanetsBears":32uz82nj said:
I'm personally not a fan of 'beginner' sections in forums as they quite often end up with beginners teaching beginners because the more experienced people don't go there.

Chris
I honestly think the reverse of that would happen, there are a lot of people on this site go that extra mile to help, I for one would visit a beginners section to help, simply because I have had so much free advice from others, something to think about Mods?

Stew

Baldhead":3py0syuw said:
JanetsBears":3py0syuw said:

Chris
I honestly think the reverse of that would happen, there are a lot of people on this site go that extra mile to help, I for one would visit a beginners section to help, simply because I have had so much free advice from others, something to think about Mods?

Stew
That's always the intention, but I've seen it tail off pretty quickly in practice on more than one occasion. Where did you go to get all your useful free advice? Not a beginner area because we don't have one, but from the other areas where all the experts lurk, so it seems to be working well as things stand.

As long as beginners don't feel like they need to become an expert themselves before daring to post, they'll reach a wider audience in the other areas. I've not been here long but UKWorkshop seems to be a very friendly place to be, not like some of the 'stuffy' forums I've come across over the years where the 'experts' looked down on mere mortals, wafting them away like a cow trying to rid its read end of flies using its tail. People new to working with wood can happily post here alongside established experts - do you really want to herd them into a special section where they can be handled differently?

Chris

JanetsBears":fu9qbm7y said:
As long as beginners don't feel like they need to become an expert themselves before daring to post,
Reading people's early posts, there often does seem a degree of trepidation before posting that a 'softer' section might overcome.

Back