One off or Batch Production

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Ed

Established Member
Reaction score
I've made a couple of things recently where a small scale batch production was needed to make 5 or 6 identical items (we're only talking small things here). I found I really enjoyed the planning and problem solving of the first one off and after that found it all a bit boring.

What it made me realise is that part of the pleasure of this as a hobby for me is the exploration of the new challenges in a piece, not just the mechanical process of actually carrying out the various operations. I think this is why I would never purchase a plan to follow someone elses design.

Does anyone enjoy small scale batch production or is it a chore for everyone?

Cheers, Ed

Well i work in the week Monday-Friday, sometimes even on Saturday, I work in bespoke windows and door manufacturing. As much as the work is varied in design, size and shapes, after a while it does all become a bit mundane. Doing work at home in my private shop is a much more enjoyable experience.

I sort of do. I've made jigs to make multiple chairs parts but even making the jigs gets tedious after a time. Laminating's a real pain but it's great when remove the finished product.

chair074.jpg

I have made plenty of cockups and, tho It's a PITA to remake a part, I really enjoy it when I can do something again having learned what went wrong. I know it's not an ideal situation, but I'm not trying to earn money out of this, just lose it ;)

Ed, anything over 6 of the same gets boring for me, the challenge and enjoyment is the prototype.

Well Pete I must admit as I typed it I did think of your run of scratch stocks and at what point that got tedious! I'm glad you persevered with it though...

Cheers, Ed

I make my living from woodworking so have to accept that batch producing items or components is a means to making a living. It can get a bit boring making 30 kitchen carcases followed by 30 beaded face frames then 30 doors but seeing the finished article and fitting it usually makes up for all the boring bits. I also find i am constantly refining how i work to make sure i am producing the best quality product I can in the quickest possible time without compromising on quality or finish.

jon

Interesting question Ed...........given enough thought this could turn into a deep philosophical discussion!

.............but to keep things simple.........even when there is no great repetition of parts within, say, a piece of furniture, there is often repetition of techniques. When you are cutting your 15th tenon, does it matter whether or not it is on the same length of timber as the other ones you have just cut? Of course not.........it is simply a question of a means to an end. It is a hobby with quite a lot of repetition, necessarily.

People on here who love their planes beyond all reason presumably love planing for hour after hour.........repetitious work, even if the parts being made aren't exact repeats of those made previously.

I wonder if our way of overcoming the tedium of the repetition is to be constantly anticipating the next phase........."cutting these mortices is boring, but it will be great to do a dry assembly"...........or "I can't wait to see what this feels like when I've rubbed back this sanding sealer". In other words, few parts of the of the actual work are of themselves overwhelmingly interesting or fun........it is the anticipation of the progress through the work, culminating in the anticipation of finishing, that is the real thrill.

Anyone ever felt the anti-climax after bringing that wonderful new piece of work into the house? Presumably, it is because all of the anticipation has now gone.......

Mike

Doing batch stuff is usually always a bit of a chore, even processes within a job, like cutting umpteen m/t joints (as Mike suggests) can get a bit irksome. I try and work so that all the stuff like that is done in one hit, so that there's no re-setting of gauges etc if I need to go back to a bit - Rob

I have been making 5 doors for my new house,wip to follow, and it has been a batch process with the spindle moulder etc. It has been a real eye opener as to how making a living from this really be. When you are making a big project every step has to right and every mistake is cumilative. I never realised how inefficient I was until i started this project.
Getting things right first time is a real art and joinery is a real skill and equally as challenging as cabinetry as you cannot just tweak here and there.
When cutting all the mortices on my feeble morticer it took 7hours and my hands were raw. I just sat there dreaming of a bigger machine. When i cut the tenons my bandsaw wandered and I now have to plane 3-4mm of each side of 45 tenons. It is really disheartening as an amateur as the job is just massive.
Cutting the tenons I started with my shoulder plane, then i just set the depth with the shoulder plane and then cut the rest with a course set plane. Then i just filed and rasped as it was quicker. I think quantity makes you very efficient and really has brushed my skills up. I think the nicety of woodwork is out the window and its just a case of getting the job done. On the other hand my marking up and accuracy is now twice as good and having a rod was a really big surpise time saver.
I would also like to say a spindle moulder with a power feed is the best thing. I love it. Using a router table would be enough to induce tears. I will need a bigger morticer as my little axminster is not man enough for the gate project I have in mind. MOre tools, ho ho.
Owen

Like some of you I make my living from wood working. I have a customer that is a director for four flooring companys supplying to retail outlets. They import solid oak flooring in two different sizes and two different finishes. In February this year they started importing machine board (Laminate) flooring. I have to make up sample boards for the reps. To date I have made 2400 solid floor samples and 1200 of the laminate samples. normally done in batches of 600, but they wanted the laminate sample boards done in one batch which took just over two weeks. All I kept thinking about was the nice cheque I could bank when I had finished. The system I did was to complete the whole of each part before moving to the next stage. This made feel like I was starting a new job as such.

That job sounds a little on the repetitious side Malcom. I can't say I've ever produced 1200 of anything in one hit, but, earning my living from the woodwork, I know what you mean about looking at the pay cheque!!
I used to enjoy repetition, mostly on the lathe, but about 10 years ago I made a decision to work in different areas so I can keep the enjoyment in the job. I enjoy working out how to do a job, sorting the problems, and anything that makes it different, but I still enjoy the hand work and the turning, as long as I can keep it to less than 15-20 of any one thing, and not too many of those in a week.

Johnny B

Having had years on site in the cold, wind, rain & snow. I don`t care how repetitive a job is, as long as i`m in the workshop, warm & the musics loud, i`m in heaven.
If i start thinking i`m getting bored, i think back to how bad it could be.

Thanks james for reminding me of how bad site work was, especially come winter!

Talking of repition jobs........ I've had to do a few thousands of single items.....

Cedar Roofing Shingles..... had to router a little pattern on every single one! Took about 20-40 hours!

Cedar Greenhouse Finials about 4 hours on the chop saw, 4 hours on the pillar drill.

Summerhouse Finials, done on a lathe, I've done quite alot of them, taking about a week! Luckily the lathe only had to be setup once and it followed a template after that, just had to set up each one, every 3 minutes.

Just a few that i remember being a pain in the ars3

Hi guys,

This is an interesting thread. My input would be that I thnik your mind set has to change slightly when in "production mode". The emphasis moves from enjoying the process and "woodworking experience", to a mix of focusing on speed whilst keeping control and focusing on quality of finish.

I once had to make 1000 keyrings to a deadline and although to cheque was good at the end the 3 weeks of 12+ hour days and the amount of stress was unbelieveable!!!! (these weren't normal keyrings by the way!!!) I now try to stick to batches below 50!!!

PB160015.JPG

26 Tulipwood domes for a shopfitting company for a hat stand display unit.

P7080053.JPG

15 3" square Oak spindles for a listed building.

Cheers,

Richard

What a cracking subject , ive been making bits for years for friends and family and the odd piece to sell :wink: This when i had a full time job , i then made something for the kitchen that the wife loved and i even listened to her when she told me to make a few more to sell :roll:

I ended up giving up the full time job and thus changing my hobby into a buisness , i do loads of repetative work on a daily basis , however my full time job was working for a car manufacturer and i was on the production line doing repetative work all day every day , so at least now i can take a break when i want and i decide when i work and when i dont :wink:

Repetative work can get boring but i have set up my production at home based on what i learnt working for a japanese car plant only on my terms :lol: :lol: :lol: and like has been said before it could be a lot worse :lol:

Back