One of my orders from today..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
cut this today for one of my customers..

I have cut lots of others too, but as they contain copyright material i am not allowed to show them, but if you click on my facebook link you could probably see them, if you have an FB account..

Attachments

• annbelle-01.jpg
    annbelle-01.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 1,270
looks really nice steve , i am going to be nosey and ask a few questions , number 1 how long did it take you to make ? number 2 what do you charge for them ? and how do you design them ? are they your own designs that you create on the computer ?

Just curious as i always deciding what to charge for my stuff over how long it takes to make etc , and what people are prepared to pay

oh and another question what scroll saw do you have ? and what wood are they made from ?

Mark

hi mark
in order of questions..
1) it took about 1 1/2 hpurs to cut this particular piece.
2) I charged the customer £22 for it, and she gladly paid too..
3) I use a serif program to put different aspects of a design together to make the final pattern.
4) there is a lot of shapes in the program which i use an i gather bits from the internet depending what the customer wants.
5) i use a delta 40-570 with quick change blade clamps, i tried the Axminster and couldn't get on with it although it cut beautifully.
6) these are made from 1 inch thick Beech, and yes it was very hard too.

I also have a contract to supply a chap with shapes who has a cnc cutter too, go figure that out, but what he wants from me is 1 inch thick shapes, he tells me what he wants and i cut it out, he is now supplying me with templates so he can just ring up and order what he wants..

I use to have a mate that lived at chesterfield, New whittington i believe..

That's really nice Steve. Just had a look at your FB link - I had no idea you did all that stuff. Love the paintings too and the scroll saw work is excellent.

stevebuk":2fg1iqp2 said:
I also have a contract to supply a chap with shapes who has a cnc cutter too, go figure that out, but what he wants from me is 1 inch thick shapes

Nice job on the name stand Steve.

As for the CNC guy asking you to cut shapes.........
I gather it's a CNC router he's using which is very limited in it's ability to cut fine detail quickly in 1" thick wood.
It's all down to the diameter of the cutter.
If you imagine choosing a router cutter to cut through 1" thick in one go you would opt for maybe a 9mm cutter at the very least.
This means the smallest detail like internal angles can only be a minimum of 4.5mm radius or 9mm diameter.
His alternative would be to use a smaller diameter cutter of say 4mm and make multiple passes of just a few millimetres each pass thus taking much longer to cut.
Even then, the smallest radius of internal cuts would only be 2mm or a diameter of 4mm yet still not as accurate as a scroll saw can achieve !

Hope this helps.

Scrollerman

Hi Steve, I think these are a really great way to celebrate important times in our lives what ever that may be .You do a very professional and pleasing look to your art . =D> =D>

Some day I hope to have the confidence to try something like this ,ability thats another matter all together . :roll: :roll:

ok thanks steve being open and honest where do you get your beech from ? i am looking to make my stuff out of harder woods for a better usp

i cant find anywhere local to me that deals with woods like beech etc

what blade do you use for cutting the beech and what motor wattage is your machine i know they dont do the delta in uk anymore but i might look into upgrading my hegner if i start cutting harder woods

Which axminster was it you couldnt get on with and why ? i been looking at the 18inch one that has had good reviews on here and is on a par spec wise with a hegner that costs twice as much and would be a more powerfull machine than the base hegner i got now

sorry for all questions but i value your input as your experince in cutting beech and your mchine spec , blades etc will be of value to me and i be interested in your feed back on the axminster

yeah i live about two miles from whittington ! :lol:

mark

mark

i got lucky and bumped into a guy that had several table tops and assorted planks going cheap(ish) so i bought them from him, i also am quite lucky that i have a couple of friend that use oak and i get their offcuts and asstd pieces and i will also try two local woodyards in the not too distant future to see what they have.

I use the Ultra reverse #5 and #7 as i find these do a better job, i tried the #9 but had difficulty in getting a good tight turn without the wood lifting. I also use several of Mikes reverse blades but mainly stick to the #5 and #7 's.

I didn't like the faffing about trying to set up the Axminster AWFS18 and actually thought it seemed poor, trying to connect brass to plastic didn't work and promptly had to ask for a new blower pipe, having to remove the on/off switch to connect something else and the table was small, not that it hindered anything. I heard some folks say it was quite a beast, i can tell you my delta dwarfs it.

The delta is 120 watts of raw forward cutting action, it can be tamed to cut jigsaws but has a tendency to snatch at thin wood, and i believe it has an induction motor, but i'm not technical so could be wrong.

Please forgive my late post, but i have just been inundated with orders and need to spend time in my cabin cutting but i will visit when i get a minute..

Anything else you need to know, just ask, if i can help i will..

Excellent work Stevebuk =D>

I like how you cut out the date. I bet that was hard to do.

Well done.

Latest posts

Back