One Japanese Chisel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Long Story Short. My missus and I were getting each other our wedding rings for xmas, but for one reason and another we're not getting them til the new year now. So we want to get each other something small as a token to open on the day.

I can't think what I want. Budget £40-50

I have been thinking about trying some Japanese chisels, but with this budget it looks like I can only get one.

Can anyone recommend a brand and an ideal size?

I've been happy with the paring chisels I bought from Axminster - I have the three larger sizes. You can get a couple within your budget.

Cheers

Karl

If that's the Iyoroi ones I'd advise against. They curl up over time. Something to do with them being rolled as part of the manufacturing process according to DC. There's a post about it donkeys ago with pics of my curled up 25mm parer

I'd seen these or these?

But wondered if anyone had used them and what size would be a good taster?

Hi Scott

Iyoroi make excellent, high quality chisels. I have used them for years (in very hard woods) without a hint of a problem. I do recall the thread you mention, but I do not believe it was a blanket condemnation, just a couple of chisels that DC was unhappy with.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek

Agreed, not a blanket condemnation but seemed to be the parers that were causing problems. If the problem was indeed caused by the manufacturing process then it was surely potentially present in all paring chisels (?). Admittedly the thread was from back in 2007 so they may well have sorted the problem by now and DC did say he didn't know what %age were like that. I think I'd like more recent owner testimonials before I bought any more given my previous experience

Cheers

Guys, Many thanks for your help. When I thought about it, one chisel wasn't much of a present, so I suggested a couple of other things. We'll see what santa brings.

Hi Tom

I put a load of stuff in my basket on the Axi website and asked my Mrs to pick for herself what she wanted to buy me for Xmas; she later admitted that she did not know any of things ordered. There were a few Japanese pull saws in there, but I had to limit myself to the Two Cherries chisels which were on special offer. Had to be strong willed when an e=mail came confirming her order :D

Phil

Yes I am well versed in that trick and have a permanent wish list that resides on our server, she can peek at it whenever she's feeling generous. However, it seems to be full of either little items or big machinery and this present was somewhere in between. So I had to think of things that I wanted but didn't necessarily need. Harder than it sounds ;)

Latest posts

Back