One for the Lawyers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spadge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Having my terrace house reroofed. I am on a slight slope so there is a small gable end (approx 2 feet high) between the properties on both sides.
The roofer will be relacing all the flashings on "my" side of my chimney.
The owner of the adjoining house has come round to say the flashings on "his" side of my chimney need replacing because there is damp in his loft (he showed me where damp has affected and cracked the plaster in the loft).
My question is am I legally responsible for the flashing on "his" side of my chimney?
No problem if I am but the guy concerned is a lawyer and it's obvious he expects me to pay to have it done so wondered where I stood?

Cheers

Grahame

Hi Grahame

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question.

However, taking it to it's logical conclusion if you were responsible for the flashing on the chimney, wouldn't you also be responsible for the damp and the plaster etc.?

Just a thought.

Neil

Having just had exactly that problem - damp attic/ leaky flashing I paid for remedial work done to my property only - ie my half of the chimney, my attic etc. Cost a pretty penny too in excess of £4K for the lot so I would have been "unwilling" to pay for any work the neighbours wanted doing as well.

Cheers Mike

Sounds to me like your neighbour is a rather crafty lawyer (aren't they all). If you get your roofer to do his flashing and, in the process, some damage is caused to his roof, he'll probably hold you responsible as well.

I'd say you do yours and let him do his.

Cheers :wink:

Paul Chapman":37oh7rvg said:
Sounds to me like your neighbour is a rather crafty lawyer (aren't they all). If you get your roofer to do his flashing and, in the process, some damage is caused to his roof, he'll probably hold you responsible as well.

I'd say you do yours and let him do his.

Cheers :wink:

I'd agree, status quo always the best way to go with these things IMHO but if you are altruistically minded and if the costs are minimal in doing his side, the other thing to do would be to get him to sign a disclaimer or indemnity clause.

Ultimately, his house is attached to your chimney as much as the other way around. I'd be inclined to tell him to sling his hook - in a very conciliatory and neighbourly manner of course

I would strongly suggest : His roof, his part of the chimney, his damp, his problem. Dont even enter into discussions with him on this one.
regards,
beejay

I meant also to suggest that your builder points out the damage to the neighbours side as being there before he started and that the damage didnt have anything to do with your side of then chimney. Pics might also prove useful just in case.
beejay

I agree with Beejay.

He should know better, I would suggest that he engages the builder directly and agrees a small sum to correct the flashing.

Hi Grahame, If he has a fire place (or there was one there originally) on the same wall as the chimney, then he is responsible for his side. He is trying it on. Ask him where the smoke would exit if he was to light the fire.

Most terrace houses are exactly the same as the house next door, or they would have been when they were first built, so its odds on his is the same as yours.

I live in a terrace house and we have 4 fires (2 upstairs and 2 down) on the same wall, as does our next door neighbour, and these 8 fires all run into the same huge chimney stack on the roof. We also have the same on the other side of the house.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Mike

"his" side of my chimney

'my' - he said 'my' whereas it is 'the' (presuming the chimmey is centred on the party wall and has flues to both houses). That one little word makes the difference.

He would have to prove that the damp is down to the state of the roof on your side of the centre line of the party wall in order to claim off your insurer. Not a hope cos he's clearly a t****r. Just tell im sorry it's his problem and suggest your roofer could help him out.

Ike

If the chimney is a shared resource then the cost of maintenance falls to both of you. If it is entirely yours, then you are probably responsible. These things are usually noted in deeds or in the contract when you bought the property. Ask him for half the total cost ........

Newbie_Neil":3mx3dkdp said:
Hi Grahame

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question.

However, taking it to it's logical conclusion if you were responsible for the flashing on the chimney, wouldn't you also be responsible for the damp and the plaster etc.?

Just a thought.

Neil

Thanks for all the replies

Whether I am responsible or not the damp in his loft has obviously been there a long time and the damage to the plaster is also obviously old so if he didn't tell me about it the first time the damp appeared there is no way I going to pay for any subsequent internal repairs to plaster.

The chimney only has a chimney breast, flues and fireplaces in my house i.e. on "his" side of the chimney there is a plain party wall. "His" chimney is the same arrangement but on the other side of the house. Chimneys on all the houses in the row are arranged in the same way.

Regarding the flashing on the chimney I have given his number to my roofer so he can ring him to sort it out. I'll leave it to them and see whether or not the neighbour comes back to me for any money.
In the meantime I will see what the deeds say about responsibility.

Cheers

Grahame

Check the property's title deeds to see if they mention responsibility for party boundaries.

Gill

Please post back the outcome, as my niece has this type of chimney i.e. her chimney exclusively vents on a party wall, and I would like to know the legal position.

Can you post a picture, as I can't build a mental image of how this chimney, his flashing, and the party wall interact at all. Without a better understanding of that, I don't see how anyone can leap to judgment, especially one based on your neighbour's occupation. One thing you do learn as a lawyer.

The chimney only has a chimney breast, flues and fireplaces in my house i.e. on "his" side of the chimney there is a plain party wall. "His" chimney is the same arrangement but on the other side of the house. Chimneys on all the houses in the row are arranged in the same way.

You either have it wrong or that was one rich thick bricklayer !!!!
Myself i think you have it wrong but you live there i dont . Even so the chimney is part of the party wall so giving next door a party wall agreement TELLING him you are going to be doing work on and around the PARTY wall will let him know that his side is his problem and you know it is .

As Alice in Wonderland said:-

"Just because you don't understand what I say doesn't mean I don't know what I said!." :wink:

So here is a pic.

The roof is my neighbours, the chimney mine. As part of the reroofing my roofer is replacing all the flashing on the left of the chimney (as you look at it) and on my gable end. The bit that may be in dispute is the flashing you can see on the right of the chimney i.e. the seal between "my" chimney and "his" roof.
The right side of the chimney in my neighbours just becomes part of a plain party wall . The chimney breast is in my house. His fireplaces are on his chimney (which is out of shot to the right).

Hope this is as clear as mud.

Back