One for the builders.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone can advise me here. I need to cut a 110 mm underground pipe, without digging the whole thing out of course.
I don't have a large enough disk cutter, and as I need to install a branch and a slip coupling, I really need a decent cut.
I have heard of string being used, there's even a video of it being done, has anyone actually tried it, would I get through some time during my lifetime?

Roy.

I'm assuming its a clay pipe. You can get pipe cutters for clay that are like a chain with several cutting wheels you just wrap it around the pipe and apply pressure with the handle and the pipe will crack all around with a nice clean edge. Should be able to hire one though they are not as common with teh advent of plastic pipe.

First hit on google for "Hepsleeve pipe cutter"

If its plastic whats wrong with an old hand saw.

J

I am not sure how long string would take on pipe but we use it to cut the out sheath of the underground cables to stop damaging the neutral wires on L.V. cables.

It is alot faster than you would imagine if you get it right.

Trouble you have unless you make a small nick is the string drifting along and find its own starting point.

If you got some string it wont hurt to try it as it wont cost anything much.

Mark

No, plastic J. The only hire company here is Jewson, I've got more kit than they have!
Hadn't thought about the nick idea Mark, that wouln't be a problem though, a triangular file should handle that I think, I've seen it said that nylon string will not do it and that Nylon string will do it, any comments on that?

Roy.

If plastic then a saw of some type.

Handsaw / Hacksaw or even a reciprocating saw. If you have a disc cutter then you could dig around the pipe where you wish to cut and under it so you can get the disc all around the pipe.

I've got a reciprocating saw, but I'm concerned about getting a nice square cut.

Roy.

we need to do so regularly when building extensions.

I have a 9" grinder and use that to cut through as far as possible (takes seconds) and finish off with an old crosscut handsaw. You'll obviously need to make 2 cuts and remove the section to accommodate the new tee branch and can easily sqare off the cuts with the side of the grinder blade once section is removed. A smaller grinder could be used or just the handsaw and a course file just as easily.

If you use your reciprocating saq, make sure it's a fine cut blade as it's possible to crack plastic pipe if too agressive (from experience #-o )

I wouldn't worry about it as the collars in the brach have plenty of room to accommodate an off sqare cut anyway - just ensure the edges are smooth and slightly chamfered as well as lubricated.

cheers

Bob

Thanks Bob, much appreciated.
That looks ideal as well Dave.
Thank you all gentleman. Now all I've got to do is find a different supplier to my local suppliers, they only supply pipe in 6 mtre lengths!

Roy.

No Tool Station here I'm afraid Dave, Jewsons, yes!
I watched that video Dave, amazing isn't it?

Roy.

I've got about 3 metres lying around in the garden. My wife would really like you to have it - but possibly even further from you than Devon!

It cuts easily with a cheapy wood saw.

Bob

Thanks for the offer anyway Bob. I've installed, and cut, a fair amount of piping in my time, I normally wrap a newspaper around the cut line then mark with a felt tip pen and use a hacksaw to cut it.
The problem this time is that I have built a utility room for 'er in doors and have to break into the existing drains, which I haven't done before and want to avoid any cock ups.
The last bit of underground piping I did was new drains into the septic tank. No problems, till we came to put the lids back, when son and heir dropped one of them into said tank!
The wife hosed me down!

Roy.

Hello Roy

'No Tool Station here I'm afraid Dave'

From their Terms and Coditions ....

5.Delivery
We will deliver your order to any UK address. Our standard delivery uses a national carrier and in most cases you will receive your goods on the next working day. If you live off the beaten track or the carrier finds your address more difficult to find your delivery may take a little longer. With some of the more remote areas such as the highlands of Scotland delivery can take several days. If a quicker delivery is important you may select one of our premium delivery options. Availability of these depends on where you are and in some cases the time of day. This will be confirmed with you at the time you place your order. If you order by post and request a delivery option that is not available to your location you will not be charged for it.

Worth a second look?

Cheers

Dave

Russell":31uzgxev said:
I would think the thick E string from a guitar would cut it wrapped around a couple of handles it should saw through.

Gets you thinking :-k

I've got a length of braided wire - definately worth experimenting.

It does indeed, apart from anything else the hole can be smaller than for some other methods.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back