Onduline Bitumen Sheet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roughcut

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm considering shed roof coverings for an 8' x 8' shed with apex roof I will be building in the garden.
I think I may want something more durable than felt.
The two contenders at the moment are Onduline sheets or EPDM (rubber).
I have no experience of either.
Reviews I've read on the Onduline seem mixed as some people reckon it can sag slightly and allow water to pool in places.
However I wonder if that might be due to not spacing the timber battens correctly as Onduline recommend?

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/use ... -guide.pdf

I've seen a Peter Parfitt video (The New Brit Workshop) where he seems very pleased with it after lasting for 25 years+ on his shed roof.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUn9oIHt8Lc
But I was just wondering if any members on here had any experiences of this product good or bad?

I wouldn't be quite so quick to dismiss felt. I had a summerhouse done 11 years ago and paid a premium for top grade felt. You couldn't tear the stuff - I forget how long it was supposed to be guaranteed for, but it is still flawless.

I have used onduline and I didn't like it, but it was what the customer specified so I had to go along.

It is quite easily damaged when nailing, so extra attention needs to be paid. On the plus side it does seem to last quite well, I have seen some quite old roofs with it on, but I couldn't say exactly how old they were.

If it is properly supported it can't sag, so that isn't a worry.

T'were it me, I would use box profile or corrugated tin, if you are concerned about condensation you can have a not drip coating on the back for not much extra.

I've used onduline on a shed, a log store and an extension and no problems so far in 6 years. It won't sag unless you don't support it properly for the pitch of roof you are doing. The web site has clear instructions.

I prefer to use screws instead of nails, although you don't really want to be having to take them out again anyway as said above it can damage if you aren't careful when fixing.

It's light and reasonably easy to cut.

I just did my workshop roof and it's brilliant stuff.
Make sure it's supported properly and it won't sag at all.
Use external grade screws and rubber washers/covers to seal the screw hole as they're easier to fit plus removeable if you make a mistake. Mistakes can easily be repaired with bitumen sealant.
The sheets are very light which makes fitting a doddle.
The best way of cutting I found was using a oscillating multi tool with any old blade. You'll probably bin the blade after so pick a cheap one.
I got all the bits from Wickes as it worked out cheapest given the trade discount.
I can take a pic of my roof if you're interested.

Adam9453":3braeh2f said:
I just did my workshop roof and it's brilliant stuff.
Make sure it's supported properly and it won't sag at all.
Use external grade screws and rubber washers/covers to seal the screw hole as they're easier to fit plus removeable if you make a mistake. Mistakes can easily be repaired with bitumen sealant.
The sheets are very light which makes fitting a doddle.
The best way of cutting I found was using a oscillating multi tool with any old blade. You'll probably bin the blade after so pick a cheap one.
I got all the bits from Wickes as it worked out cheapest given the trade discount.
I can take a pic of my roof if you're interested.

Yes if it's not too much trouble a photo of your workshop roof would be appreciated Adam, thanks.
I've been to Wickes and seen the bitumen sheets and agree that because of their weight seem easy to handle, which is a bonus as I will be doing the job just by myself.
I've also seen that my local Wickes sell the foam eaves fillers for this profile sheeting, are they worth using?

I used comb eaves fillers from toolstation as they are incredibly cheap and ventilate the roof while keeping the bugs out. Here's the link; http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=19205
Sure I'll post a pic up once it's light outside again :)
If you're going for a multiple pitched roof, remember you'll need the bitumen ridge pieces aswell.

Adam9453":1ua4u8zx said:
I used comb eaves fillers from toolstation as they are incredibly cheap and ventilate the roof while keeping the bugs out. Here's the link; http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=19205
Sure I'll post a pic up once it's light outside again :)
If you're going for a multiple pitched roof, remember you'll need the bitumen ridge pieces aswell.

Yes they look good Adam, thanks for that link.
And yes I've already factored in the Bitumen Ridge pieces I will require.

Good luck if you do use onduline I never will again, condensation dripped off the underneath all winter long just as if it were tin, so that is what is on the old workshop now with polystyrene sheet stuck to the underside, shed is now used as my timber store. My new workshop has 15mm OSB then insulated box profile result no condensation whatsoever cost a little over £450 but then the workshop is 5m x 7.5m plus a 7.5m x 1m veranda.
As I say good luck if you do use onduline

cedarwood":36zmev4w said:
Good luck if you do use onduline I never will again, condensation dripped off the underneath all winter long just as if it were tin, so that is what is on the old workshop now with polystyrene sheet stuck to the underside, shed is now used as my timber store. My new workshop has 15mm OSB then insulated box profile result no condensation whatsoever cost a little over £450 but then the workshop is 5m x 7.5m plus a 7.5m x 1m veranda.

Thanks for sharing your experience cedarwood.
Can I ask did you insulate your roof before using the onduline?
I'm planning on 12mm OSB on inside shed ceiling with 100mm of insulation between rafters, then 12mm OSB on top then 25x50mm tile battens with onduline fixed to this.

Condensation is normally a ventilation problem rather than roof type issue. Good ventilation and insulation will avoid the problems you mention

Roughcut":c7r7mmpx said:
cedarwood":c7r7mmpx said:

Thanks for sharing your experience cedarwood.
Can I ask did you insulate your roof before using the onduline?
I'm planning on 12mm OSB on inside shed ceiling with 100mm of insulation between rafters, then 12mm OSB on top then 25x50mm tile battens with onduline fixed to this.

No insulation used under the onduline as at the time I thought only steel would give lots of condensation. when I built the new shed I went for belt and braces plus the box profile sheet was full length run with only the side overlap that meant no way for high winds to blow water up under sheet joints.

Around here one cannot find an onduline roof that doesn't sag and leak. They seem to last two-tree years at most. Onduline isn't strong enough to carry the snow in winter. Still they try to sell it to us.
However you don't have much snow where you live so I suppose onduline would work if well supported from below.

Here's the pics of my workshop roof for anyone thats interested, please note I only finished it a month or so ago and haven't put the guttering on or painted it yet;
photo 1- roof.jpg

photo 2-low res.jpg

photo 3-low res.jpg

photo 4-low res.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1- roof.jpg
    photo 1- roof.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 3,836
  • photo 2-low res.jpg
    photo 2-low res.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 3,836
  • photo 3-low res.jpg
    photo 3-low res.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 3,837
  • photo 4-low res.jpg
    photo 4-low res.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 3,836
I've used Unduline on several jobs and it's proved satisfactory and worked very well.
Either missing, or not bothering to read the manufacturers instructions is a problem that occurs frequently.
By using the fixing instructions some of the problems mentioned here probably wouldn't have happened
Regards Rodders

Roughcut":8023gkh9 said:
Thanks for the pictures Adam.
Workshop looks very impressive. =D>
Thank you, the roof design was a bit of a challenge as I've never built a shed before let alone a workshop this size.
It was fun though and I'm pleased to finally have my own space to make shavings :D

i used it on my workshop. I put 12mm ply on first, then a waterproof membrane, then the onduline. that was about 7 years ago and it has been fine. Also it is a very low angle pitch due to space height restrictions, yet it has still been ok.

Roughcut":23d10ysl said:
Thanks for the pictures Adam.
Workshop looks very impressive. =D>

That IS a job well done, nicely finished too! you deserve to make lots, and lots of shavings for a long, long time!
Can I suggest you put some bolts through those hinges, or someone will just undo the screws and you're kit will be gone.
Something like this would be better, coach bolt the top pin upside down then the doors can't be lifted off!

http://www.screwfix.com/c/security-iron ... /cat840972

Regards Rodders

Back