On the leg vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLFaria

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

Sorry if this is wrong forum to post this – I couldn’t decide if a leg vice should be qualified as a woodwork, a tool or a jig…

This may be an elementary question, but I have no experience at all with leg vices, and am interested in the subject.

Independently of the locking “mechanism” used, there seems to be basically two locations as regards the pivot point:

- The more “usual” (?) system has the slide rigidly fixed to the chop, for instance by M&T; the pivot point here will be somewhere at or close to the leg of the workbench, depending on the way the locking system works (pic. on the left)

- There also seems to be some arrangements where the slide is made to pivot at the chop (pic. on the right). Technically, the chop working as a third class lever, this would seem to me to be the better arrangement, but maybe in practice its does not matter enough to be of concern.

Does anyone have a practical experience to comment on the possible advantages/disadvantages of each one of these arrangements?

Thanks for any comments

G.

Attachments

• Pivot-point.png
    Pivot-point.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 893
Back