Olive Ash Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
A while back I posted some shots of green turned bowls from a very nice piece of Ash, this one in particular looked very promising.

Olive-Ash-green-2.jpg

Olive-Ash-green-1.jpg

Well, it dried very well and is now a finished piece, here's how it finished up. (the two coins are for scale)

olive-ash-fruit-1.jpg

olive-ash-fruit-2.jpg

olive-ash-fruit-3.jpg

olive-ash-fruit-4.jpg

Beautiful work as ever Kim. A nicely elegant design that allows the figuring to take centre stage without distraction.

Spectacular grain pattern in that one. Well turned and finished as always. This reminds me to rough turn some of the blanks I have.

Stunning piece of wood and a creation to enhance it without swamping it in detail.
How many of those Rays did you chase in the finishing Kim?

What a fantastic bowl. That piece of wood is stunning and its displayed to brilliant effect.

Thanks for the comment all:D. The bowl moved very little during drying, Ash is pretty good like that
usually. For a certainty if this had been plain white Ash it would have been a prime piece for colouring with all those Ray's.

A stunning piece of timber and some really nice turning as well, well done!

One thought, I really like the subtle lip you've turned on the base just outside the foot. If I was me, I'd of turned the foot off so the bowl sat on the little lip rather than the larger dovetailed foot with the centre mark still in it, as the lip alone would still give the shadow you're looking for. I think it would have given the piece a little more lightness of look and more elegance. Minor point as it is underneath after-all but perhaps something to consider next time?

Still, to take nothing away, it is a really great piece and also nice to see the evolution from raw log / wet turned piece to finished item rather than the more clincal shaping of an anonymous blank from some mass produced timber dealer - cooked from scratch vs ready meal!!!! Great job!

SVB":3u4omq54 said:
One thought, I really like the subtle lip you've turned on the base just outside the foot. If I was me, I'd of turned the foot off so the bowl sat on the little lip rather than the larger dovetailed foot with the centre mark still in it, as the lip alone would still give the shadow you're looking for. I think it would have given the piece a little more lightness of look and more elegance. Minor point as it is underneath after-all but perhaps something to consider next time?

I hadn't picked up on that subtlety - Well spotted Simon. I agree it could be a really nice design feature.

Come on Kim, get on with it! :lol:

Absolutely beautiful. I like ash but have never seen ash this spectacular. Lovely wood and quality turning! I will be looking out for dark hearted ash in the woods this winter :)

Lovely bowl. I'm not sure if it's your camera white balance or your choice of finish but I love the colour of the rough turned bowl in the first couple of pictures.

Greets again, the base, meh, bases are what you make of them at the time. I don't own a button jaw set so cutting any further decoration would have been off centre to the patterns I already cut, that would look worse. it's a toss up between being able to finish the base first or waiting till the inside is done then reversing the bowl again, along with the attendant risks of marking the rim and any finish you may have put on. I opted for the easier option this time.

The colour of the wet turned bowl is exactly how it looked, much darker and pink (wet ahs turns pink pretty quick, alas such vibrant colours are soon lost during the drying) the wood was turned within a day or so of it being felled, it too about three or four months in the attic to dry.

Back