Older newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I stumbled across this site/forum whilst researching workbench building, the last bench I built was some thirty five years ago in my early days of boat building.

Anyway, after many alterations for change of use, and much abuse it was time to replace it, it had to be something simply as I am a bit disabled nowadays and wanted to get it completed before my next spine operation so as to use it for smaller/lighter woodworking projects that will be more within my physical capabilities.

It has been some thirty years since I have turned my hand to working with wood, so my bench is certainly basic compared to the standards I see on here :oops:

Nice to meet you all, Wingy

Welcome Wingy!

Trust the op will go okay and you'll soon be back to sawdust making :)

Cheers Roger,

Oops I forgot the picture, as I say the bench is certainly nowhere near the standards I see on here, but here is a pic for you to have a chuckle at:

IMG_0239_zps6d6227d7.jpg
[/URL]

The bench measures 2100 x 600 x 900 tall, and somehow I have got to squeeze a bench grinder, pillar drill, engineering vice and woodworking vice (and me with a plane) onto this bench… suggestions welcome?

Nice to meet you, Wingy

Looks perfectly fine to me, in fact very nice! There's a thread on here somewhere about fitting an engineering vice in to a woodworking vice for occasional use. Shelf on the wall for grinder?

Welcome Wingy. Looks like a nice bench to me, but I would expect it to be a little more cluttered when working. We have a worktop bench in our garage, which was an old chipboard one and was simply topped with some hardwood ply and edged with oak. Very useful, but we have to move out bandsaw and P/T out into the main area to work with.

Alex

Alex_0569 RR.jpg

Attachments

• Alex_0569 RR.jpg
    Alex_0569 RR.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 68
Thanks Chaps,

The bench is just made up of 3x3 legs, 4x2 frame and the top is 4 6x2's topped off with MDF, nothing posh but seems solid enough for my needs.

My engineers vice is big and my wood vice quite small, so I am now thinking of the engineers vice fixed to the bench over the leg at the far end, the wood vice at the other end, and the bench grinder mounted on a wooden plate with a piece of 2x2 glued and screwed underneath so as to clamp into the wood vice when needed... can anyone see any blinding obvious oversight with my plan? #-o

Wingy

Latest posts

Back