Old Threads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to search hard to even find this chap.
He seems to live in places I just don't go.
Just avoid hand tools - stick to tools with tails and real projects. Then you will not meet him

:lol:

Bob

big soft moose":2069immh said:
saying that whats the problem with thread resurection if its relevant ? - I might be a bit guilty of this myself as ive been reading back in the projects forum as there are loads of interesting wips from before my time, and its sometimes tmpting to comment on them.

Yeah - that seems reasonable. It's answering a question 2 years after it was asked that seems less-than-useful, certainly to the OP.

BugBear

yes that's the issue, it's offering advice to the OP 2/3yrs after the OP has probably completed that task (I know that's pushing it for some of us woodworkers ;)). If it's bringing an old thread up to clarify something or ask a slightly different but related question, then that's fine. But it would be nice to pre-fix it with some sort of indication that they are bumping an ancient thread.

Like I say, this is a etiquette issue and that's the hardest thing to 'enforce' on a forum, or even IRL. We all learn and a quiet whisper in said poster's ear may have sorted it. But then we get into the issue of who does it. If we all start sending him PM's then he's going to get peeved and buzz off, which isn't ultimately what we all want.

What Rod wanted was an indication on the thread title of the thread's age. I'm not sure if that's viable but there are ways to indicate a thread's active state. But we all know what it's like getting blood out of Charley.....

Paul Chapman":2y3598c5 said:
Karl":2y3598c5 said:
seeing a thread titled "LN v's Clifton v's LV" with 4,000 views and 60 replies should ring alarm bells that it is an old thread.

And we know Cliftons are the best, so there's no need to read it anyway :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul
Cobblers :lol: - Rob

wizer":3i3yh6s6 said:
. But then we get into the issue of who does it. .....

thats why i suggested philly mod does it, keeping thing coacepatic is definitely a mod job.

wizer":2a8zodah said:
What Rod wanted was an indication on the thread title of the thread's age. I'm not sure if that's viable but there are ways to indicate a thread's active state. But we all know what it's like getting blood out of Charley.....

Perhaps when a 'Thread Starter' feels the question is answered, the title could be edited to show this. By the said Starter.

HTH
xy

At the end of the day, its beautiful and sunny here 8) , my only gripe is with flys landing on my freshly glossed garage door :evil:

If i had to take sides, it would have to be with the person who's resurrecting the old threads. Think its a little selfish to expect every newbie that joins to keep quiet if they find something worthy of a comment, through fear of 'cheesing off' just one person.

If it were a much more common annoyance, then threads may as well be locked after a set time. I find it alot easier finding just one long thread, instead of dribs and drabs scattered around everywhere.

Did i mention, we've got sunshine?

wizer":2m26umf5 said:
Like I say, this is a etiquette issue and that's the hardest thing to 'enforce' on a forum, .......
What's etiquette got to do with it? What on earth is wrong with reviving discussions, however old, as long as there are willing participants?

Your not someone who I expect to understand etiquette Jacob.

Can't see a problem in re-opening old threads
it could be that some newer members may have not read that particular thread
and whats better, 1 re-opened thread covering the question or numerous questions from different people which could be answered by that thread

in other forums i'm on if someone asks a question that's been covered quite a bit then people provide links to the old thread so they can visit, read and pass comment if they so wish

Excellent, we could be heading for the long awaited Wizer/Grimsdale rumble.

Owdman v Owdback - place your bets here

He might have alzheimers and doesn't remember that he did search old threads, before he posted a new thread and forgot that he had already searched the thread he had just posted, but then forgot that he had just posted a thread and so posted another.

And if it's me you are all talking about, well I have social phobia, and alzhehimers.....

No body likes me
No body want's me
That's why I eat worms!!!!

Plus....
I am nuts...
Like wot Jack Nickolson is in The Shining.......
Not Jack Burton in Big Trouble in Little China.....

Leavt lad alone!

Is it me :?: :?: :?: No can't be :?: :?:

:oops: :oops: :oops:

but it doesn't seem to be me - if it is then :shock: :roll: :roll: sorry, I will not do it again honest ....

Otherwise, please will someone PM the guy, so that the rest of us newbies can be let off the hook.

Dave

Sportique":5dlb4wbd said:

but it doesn't seem to be me - if it is then :shock: :roll: :roll: sorry, I will not do it again honest ....

Otherwise, please will someone PM the guy, so that the rest of us newbies can be let off the hook.

Dave
It can't be you unless you are Greek

Sportique":2072txd9 said:

Dave

its not you - unless you are using two user names - they guy concerned is alledgedly greek and gratis if you get my drift.

Having seen the offending threads i can kind of see what tom etc are on about - theres no problem with ressurecting old threads to ask for more info, or to clarify , or to say hey what a great project, but the guy concerned isnt doing any of that.

whats causing some members concern is that he is selecting extremly old threads where questions are asked, and answering them - once or twice could be coincidence but there are so many that it must be a deliberate selection.

that said i do wonder why it warrants this degree of fuss - it seems a bit childish on his part as a sort of "hey look at me" gesture rather than taking part in current discussions where someone might contradict him, but equally i kind of wonder why other folk dont just ignore him

If hes doing it deliberately to get a rise, if ignored he'll stop, and if its just because he doesnt understand nettiquette then surely thats excusable in a new member.

Hi,

Its beginning to annoy me as well, but don't feed the trolls as they say.

Pete

Latest posts

Back