Old Startrite table saw, what say you....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CroppyBoy1798

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I reckon I have one of these bad boys coming my way (once I prise open my wallet and hand over some hard earned cash!! :oops: ). Its similar to the one pictured below, has a sliding carriage and all.

startrite-slididng-table-rip-saw-pe108492_3.jpg

The motor was replaced a few year back with a single phase motor.

Now, what I'm wondering is, does anyone here have one and what are there impressions and also, perhaps more importantly is it at all (or easily) possible to dissasemble this saw? I have to collect it, I can arrange a van but I reckon I'll be needing a fork lift to lift it just by the look of it!! I know the carriage can come off, but can the table be easily removed?

Thanks!

Croppy,

They are a great saw, I have two. they do come apart, the sliding table comes off as you know, the rip fence bars are made up in sections and unscrew the same, the table top is bolted to the base cabinet with about 8 bolts just under the table overhand, there are two cotter pins in the table top that align with the main saw trunnion that might need a bit of levering ( in your picture they are just above the yellow sticker ). Try not to unbolt the swing arm to the sliding table as it will involve a lot of setting up when you reassemble again.

Cheers guys, looking forward to getting her! :D, but, oddly, in saying that I'm sort of reluctant to give up my Makita (cant keep the two, havent got the space and I suppose the few bob for the Makita will go towards the Startrite.

A nice little saw...
MLT100.jpg

But, time to move into a different league I reckon! :mrgreen:

You can't go wrong with the SR. Short of someone attacking the table with a sledge hammer it's all fixable. There is often considerable variation in the finish on the sliding table bar which results in either a smooth run or roaring bearings. Neither is any problem. You'll enjoy it.

I have had mine for 20 years and will never sell it, I hope to get in the next 18 months a proper full size format saw with a 3,2m sliding table, the Startrite will be kept near the hand work area for those " quick " trim cuts.

Have fun with yours, just make sure you clean the trunnions often from sawdust. I give it a blow out at the end of each week ( when I remember too :oops: `)

hth,

K

Back