Old Sedgwick mb problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Thompson

Reaction score
Hi everyone, This is my first post to this wonderful mine of information, so lets start with an old favorite!
i've bought an old Sedgwick mb and have a few problems I hope someone may be able to help me with.
First off one of the knife wedges was damaged, I bought two new wedges from Sedgwick ( £90 + vat ) the new wedges need to be dimpled so I placed each wedge in the cutter block with a new knife, then wound up the five retaining Allen screws to mark the back of the wedges. Then took the wedges out and dot punched the centre of the Allen screw marks and drilled the dimples ( same size dimples as old wedges) with a pillar drill, so far all was well. The problems started when tightening up the Allen screws with everything in place, knife height set etc, as the screws started to grip they lifted up the cutter wedges, raising the leading edge above the cutter block. Has anyone else had problems fitting new wedges?
The second problem is when setting the knife height using the drag method, the wood moves at each end of the cutter block, but just kisses it at the centre of the cutter block, the tables don't seem to be warped when checking with a straight edge but I can't think of anything else that would cause this, am I missing anything ? ( wouldn't be the first time)
Thanks for any help in advance
Mark.

Hi Mick, thanks for your reply. I used new knives and , its the same on both, I've checked the knives edges with an engineers rule and they are straight. I leveled both tables and put a straight edge across them both on the fence side which just touched the top of the cutter block, but when i put the straight edge of the cutter guard side i found it didn't touch the cutter block at all, so both tables appear to be dropping at the operator side of the machine.
Its a good job i bought this machine otherwise i might be doing something i like !

Back