old no4c plane??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
I got this plane today in a classic eBay lot. I've been on the blood and gore but not very good with computers. I'll post pics after hair cut lol.
I think its about 1880. Buy any help would be great thanks
Ps. I'm not selling it :)

here are the pics

Attachments

• photo-2 copy.JPG
    photo-2 copy.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,352
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,352
  • photo-3 copy.JPG
    photo-3 copy.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 1,352
  • photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,352
  • photo-6 copy.JPG
    photo-6 copy.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,352
  • photo-6.JPG
    photo-6.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 1,352
  • photo-7.JPG
    photo-7.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 1,352
  • photo-8.JPG
    photo-8.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,352
Scouse":ov9zqbmq said:
thanks scouse, a big help always, ive had a look at it and blood and gore, it must be a Frankenplane. i know the bed- from Patrick's gore is:
The second major design dispensed with the experimental frog ca. 1874. This design is simply a broad and flat rectangular area that is machined on the bottom casting. This machined area is rather low, and has two holes that receive the screws which are used to secure the frog in place.

Likewise, the bottom of the frog is machined flat to fit onto the bottom casting. This method of securing the frog was sound and it worked well, but the amount of machining, after the parts were cast, certainly made production more costly and slow, and they eventually cast two grooves into the main casting's frog receiver (ca. 1888) in order to reduce the area that had to be machined. Still, this construction was too costly. Thus, Stanley needed to modify the design if they were to become "The Toolbox of the World." That, and the exclusive patent rights for the construction were about to run out, so Stanley needed something new to patent in order to differentiate their products from the competitions'.
the knob (low) has no bead or bed to sit in same with the tote.
the key hole iron cap.
as well as the screw to hold in the tote (ive never seen before)

i agree its a nice plane, not gona clean it up to much, shame about the brake (fixed very well as ive checked to see if its straight and it is unless my rule is bent ha.

if its ok could you double check the photos and get some info on bits please as you 100% better with a computer than i am would appreciate it thanks scouse

bugbear":2gakg6ax said:
A little bit more weld than I generally prefer on my planes!

BugBear

I know, its a sight for sore eyes. I'm thinking of sanding it Down or some thing to make it more pleasing to the eye. What you think will it weaken it to much, as im not going to use it it don't really matter I guess

My "go to" plane is a Record No5 1/2 with a weld in the same place, it works fine.

Pete

I just got a no6 with a weld for £1 and its been very well done just needs a clean and I shall try it as for the no4 I will have a shave or to just for fun but its old as the hills and will just keep as a nice tool

tobytools":37xhcpn8 said:
if its ok could you double check the photos and get some info on bits please as you 100% better with a computer than i am would appreciate it thanks scouse

I reckon Vann's spot on with the age, and the bits look original, if there's any such thing on a 100+ year old plane, frog design, no raised ring at the front, curved design of the lever cap, B casting etc.

I'm a big fan of old US Stanleys, and I have a type 13 with a crack in the same place, stable but not repaired.

It's a shame about the weld, but it's not a lost cause and it's funny how these things come up all at once; I bought a WS no5 at the boot sale this weekend which has a weld both sides, ground down to be almost invisible and straight as a die.

Scouse":1h850lju said:
tobytools":1h850lju said:

I reckon Vann's spot on with the age, and the bits look original, if there's any such thing on a 100+ year old plane, frog design, no raised ring at the front, curved design of the lever cap, B casting etc.

I'm a big fan of old US Stanleys, and I have a type 13 with a crack in the same place, stable but not repaired.

It's a shame about the weld, but it's not a lost cause and it's funny how these things come up all at once; I bought a WS no5 at the boot sale this weekend which has a weld both sides, ground down to be almost invisible and straight as a die.

i know what you mean none on my plane have welds but ive hot 2 in the last week, how much you get you no5 for?
the no4 came in the lot i got that i put in another thread, wasnt expecting it to be what i got.
thanks again,

tobytools":31i37dbe said:
how much you get you no5 for?

£4 with a mid 50's Record no4.

It's had a bit of a clean and I've binned the handle which was broken in 4 places and held together with handlebar tape. You can just see the weld on the side and the extra thickness on the edge in front of the blade.

At the risk of repeating myself....my favourite Bailey plane...

DSC_0681.JPG

Also a bootfair find...but I think I shelled out a fiver on mine...but it's so long ago I can't quite remember...it wasn't a huge amount anyway....

DSC_0687.JPG

Shaves like Sweeny Todd too!!!

DSC_0702.JPG

Mine's a "c" too!

Lovely little plane...they don't make them like that anymore!

Cheers

Jimi

i love a boot fair bargin, both those planes are lovley, im scrubbing up my no6 atm, stripping as there was no jap and paint all over it, handles are fine, ill post pic when im done, good work guys, im defo gona sand down the sides of my 4 now so it looks less obvious :)

It is always interesting to me that welds on broken planes are acceptable; here on the other side of the pond, we are somewhat blessed with a relative abundance of older Stanley planes (albeit harder to come by as time goes on) where a weld would be considered fatal to user grade, and the plane would be a parts plane only. If well done, a weld shouldn't make a difference, but here the market rejects such planes, irrespective of age. If shipping, customs, etc. weren't such a bother, I'd offer some US made pre-war 4, 5 and 6s for sale to folk, but the shipping always kills the deal.

Hello,

Are these planes actually welded, or in fact silver soldered? Not having done much welding, so might be talking tripe, but I always thought cast iron was a real menace to weld, having to be done at a raised temperature and cooled slowly to avoid 'white iron' which is glass hard and very brittle, tending to break along the weld line. This would probably distort the plane (probably stress releive it too, but a stress relieved pretzel)

I suppose careful handling, silver solder would be a good enough glue, but is it worth messing about. I must say, I wouldn't bother with a repaired body any more than I would superglued dinner plate to eat off. It might just be me, but sometimes I think it is just better so salvage parts and scrap the monstrosity. It might be different if it was the original plane Noah used to build the arc, but these are not precious things.

Incidentally, I have a Stanley No 2 which is complete but not mint which I will give to the OP if he pays the postage, if he promises to stop buying complete rubbish from now on!

Mike.

Hello,

Could the weld be a worthwhile repair, then. I know engineers go to lengths inserting repair metal mechanically rather than welding, when it comes to cast iron, to avoid 'white iron' which is a point of future failure, besides the difficulty in maintaing the sole linearity. I think I would still ditch a broken body, they are flippin' ugly, too.

My offer of a free Stanley No. 2 to the OP, if postage is paid, still stands. I was only joking about the proviso of not buying any more junk tools! (Just a hope really)

Mike.

Back