Old back saw restoration advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I initially worked to Gramercy's instructions:

f3503213e130263677f04f5614c8bd6d.jpg

caf92c8f9f1c503454a9274e81d9c147.jpg

But then rounded then off even more to fit my hand:

33cc1fd30fa938e446ad2d4d44ceaf44.jpg

Rod

Exactly Rod...that is a classic example of customisation to suit the owner...much clearer with pictures.

I had this very discussion with Douglas when we tested the infill plane the other week...he doesn't find it comfortable and prefers a more rounded handle and I prefer it the way I made it...for my hand and use.

If you make or modify your own handles you can do this irrespective of how commercial makers or theorists dictate.

Nice one mate...I wonder how many would have the guts to attack a Gramercy with a rasp so to make one and then modify it is great!! =D>

Jimi

Very nice work there harbo....I finally managed to grab some hours this weekend to finish this saw off. In the end, I brought another of the same model on E bay, that had a nice shiny blade, and used that instead. Bit of a compromise, but like I said, the ugly pitting etc would just put me off if I used the original blade.

So here is the finished result:

I have also developed a severe allergy to rosewood dust in the meantime, which makes working on stuff like this a bit cumbersome...cue trend full respirator, disposable suit and barrier cream plus latex gloves....I look like I should be treating an Ebola patient, not making a saw handle..........

I am pretty chuffed with it, it needs a sharpen, so I am sending it off to be done, should have it back in a week or so....I know, I know, I should try myself - if I was less busy, I really would, but am so swamped with proper work at the moment, that I don't have a spare minute. So that's something to try in the future.

Thanks for advice in this thread, Cheers, Mark

It looks absolutely gorgeous Mark! I bet you will really get a kick out of using it now after all that effort!

As for the outfit...perhaps you need an Ebola hat as well! :oops:

I'll get me shell suit! :mrgreen:

Jimi

Latest posts

Back