Old 1970s construction timber - was it treated back then?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fobos8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm doing a loft conversion on our place, first job is to remove the old floor joists and rafters. Some I can use for collar ties for the new roof but I'm thinking about using the rest for firewood in our house - should be pretty dry by now!! The house was built in the 70s.

I don't burn modern construction timber as it is treated with Copper Cadmiun and Arsenic but does anyone know if wood back in the 1970s was treated and what with. The timber is a orangy brown colour but I think this may be discoloration from its age.

Any suggestions warmly recieved <- no pun intended!!

Best regards, Andrew

Tanalised Timber was around in the 70's - it was considered "toxic" then as well.

Rod

pipper!!

is there any way of telling if this is tanalised. Like I say it is an orangy/brown colour??

Initially it starts off green then "mellows" to a honey brown.
Sorry do not know of any test?

Rod

I would say that it is exceptionally unlikely for internal timber to be tanalised in those days.
When I did the building work on my house in the early 80s, there was no requirement for pressure treatment for BR approval.
Structural stuff had to be 'stress graded' but that was all.

Bob

don't know if its worth risking it if I'm can't be sure its not treated ??

Back