Okish priced paid for Stanley 71 on eBay shock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
After months of looking for a decent 71 on eBay that came in at under £70 I managed to get one in pretty good condition for £62.

Only issue is the missing fence. I was thinking of wasting time maching one from aluminium on my XCarve CNC. Anyone made one from hardwood?

I use router planes on almost every project I make, but I don't think I've ever once used the fence. If you needed one I'm sure a hardwood version would be perfectly adequate, but for inlay lines and the like there are better tools to use.

Early on in my hobby woodworking, I made an adjustable shelf bookcase with metal library strip set in flush on either side. So I needed to make long, shallow stopped grooves, near the edges. That's the only job where I have ever needed to use the fence on my Stanley 71.

But don't let that put you off. I do have an old Stanley 66 beader which was missing the straight fence when I bought it. I made a replacement fence using a scrap of nice hard holly wood. It's been perfectly satisfactory in use, so I'd say your idea is sound.

I suppose the fact they don't see much use is why you see so many on eBay without the fences.

Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back