Oi, don't throw that away, chap!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening chaps, last weekend a colleague of mine who was clearing out his garage came round and presented me with 2 very dilapidated planes, one was a Stanley bailey No 4, and a wooden plane which I have never owned or used before, I'll get to that later, sadly with the stanley, I did not take some "before" pics, read on and see what you think.

3428897179_a19e8f2e93_b.jpg

Here are all the components of the stanley, cleaned and overhauled, the tote was broken in half and held together with yards of sellotape, the through bolt was threadbound, the iron and chip breaker were so rusted together that I had to split them with an old chisel, but with a good deal of sanding, polishing, putting a new edge on the iron and the aid of my lathe, everything came up quite well.
3428874153_d17956eecd_b.jpg

There, the assembled and finished product, by george it works, all I have to do now is learn how to use it correctly.
3428872423_16c1ebc5a0_b.jpg

That looks goodenough for me.
3429691666_b36bb5a87f_b.jpg

Left to right, this is how far I have come in 4 years, I am not a hand tool afficianado as you may have gathered, but I'm learning, the act of stripping a tool down, restoring it, and reassembling it gives a greater understanding of it's capabilities,imo.
3429714330_d693b12161_b.jpg

THIS is the next challenge, I've never even seen one before and don't know what it's for, the dimensions are as follows,
17 5/16"long
2 3/4"wide
2 1/2"high at the front,
2 3/4" at the rear.
3428904587_a45e1d0d6f_b.jpg

3429722066_2c804eab49_b.jpg

3428901237_1a94d241d1_b.jpg

3428879401_3d9547ea65_b.jpg

The strange symbol on the iron is quite difficult to read but I think I can make out the word "ibbotson and co, and warranted.
3428877819_b5863ccedf_b.jpg

can any kind member tell me from the description, the title of this particular plane, it is the same size as my No 6 kindly given to me by digit

Regards,

Rich.

I'm surprised you haven't seen the wooden plane before Rich. we used them in school in the early seventies, we called it a Jack plane. I thought that most schools used them at that time.

Rich - from the looks of those planes, youv'e got all the right credentials to join His Lordship as one of they collector people :lol: - Rob

Rich,

I think its called a Jack plane so its close to a metal No:5.

It seems to have been prepped to have the mouth repaired by inserting a patch.

Looks a bit battered but should clean up well. The sole can flattened on sandpaper or by a finely set metal plane.

Lets have a photo of the finished item.

regards
Alan

3432387478_94bd93e6e1_b.jpg

Well, I've made a start, on further investigation of the symbol stamped on the iron, it says, Thos ibbotson and co, can anyone throw any light on this?

3432370066_3b18ee6207_b.jpg

Well, it's been a pleasant enough day today, despite the rain, me and my 2 four legged friends have enjoyed our time in the workshop today, but it's time for dinner, (beef stew, which I started at 1630hrs) there all starving so I'd best get going.

Rich.

Night Train":lqna8q5x said:
Oi! No food in the workshop!

Opps, sorry you're not one of my students. :oops:
:D
...at least you didn't have to wear a collar and tie in the 'shop, which is what I had to do in at Shoreditch - Rob

woodbloke":sjxbrjlf said:
Night Train":sjxbrjlf said:

...at least you didn't have to wear a collar and tie in the 'shop, which is what I had to do in at Shoreditch - Rob
Yes I do.
We are instructed that we have to wear proper trousers, shirt and tie under our overalls when we teach.

Night Train":dmqm7ssu said:
woodbloke":dmqm7ssu said:
Night Train":dmqm7ssu said:

Yes I do.
We are instructed that we have to wear proper trousers, shirt and tie under our overalls when we teach.

As did my instructors when I studied engineering at south OX tech college in Henley on thames, as students we too had to wear a janitor style workcoat, as I was polishing a workpiece on the lathe with emery, the sleeve of my coat got caught by the chuck and was ripped right off :shock: luckily, I still have two arms, a good lesson learnt, it's better to be practically dressed than well dressed, ie, NO sleeves.

Rich.

Night Train":stb1n60c said:
...yebut your'e not a student...I was! - Rob

Good evening chaps, heres one for you to muse on overnight, regarding the wooden plane that I am renovating, the stamp on the iron reads THOs Ibbotson, the stamp on the chipbreaker reads Beech and pond, the stores, 106 & 108, Old st, EC. Wiki shows they were in business between 1895 to 1905, there is a stamped name on the side of the plane bearing the name, W. Murray, what does this all mean? I'll post pics of the plane tomorrow.

Rich.

You asked about the names on your old wooden plane.

It's quite simple: the most important part (the blade) is almost always marked by its maker. Thomas Ibbotson was a succesful maker of decent quality irons. If you start looking at woodies, this won't be the last you'll find!

The Old Street address would have been the name and address of the tool merchant who sold the plane. So it was their branding as a mark of quality, not the anonymous maker. Old Street was in the furniture making area of East London.

The name W.Murray would have been the owner of the plane - marking your tools was a necessary safeguard when working on site. You'll find planes where the owner has let rip and stamped his name on every surface, and also planes with two or three marks in succession.

Andy

AndyT":54ibl6ag said:
You asked about the names on your old wooden plane.

It's quite simple: the most important part (the blade) is almost always marked by its maker. Thomas Ibbotson was a succesful maker of decent quality irons. If you start looking at woodies, this won't be the last you'll find!

The Old Street address would have been the name and address of the tool merchant who sold the plane. So it was their branding as a mark of quality, not the anonymous maker. Old Street was in the furniture making area of East London.

The name W.Murray would have been the owner of the plane - marking your tools was a necessary safeguard when working on site. You'll find planes where the owner has let rip and stamped his name on every surface, and also planes with two or three marks in succession.

Andy

Most edifying, thanks for taking the trouble to reply Andy, I am obliged, the plane is now finished and reassembled and well photographed, I'm just waiting for my eldest lad to return and he will upload the pics for me, I'm not much of a techie, you see. :oops:

Rich.

AndyT":11qnfsh8 said:
Andy

I can second that. Thomas Ibbotson is one of the most respected old Sheffield names. That strange trademark is, I believe, a stirrup. If you find anything made of steel with the name of Thomas Ibbotson stamped on it, grab it - particularly chisels.

3438362239_4e8257b63b_b.jpg

Well, there we are, all parts sanded and cleaned and a new edge put on the very formidable iron.
3439181020_278392b4de_b.jpg

Reassembly went together well here, the tote was completelt split in two at the front, but I could not open the joint enough to get some glue in there, so, I sawed through th front and then glued and screwed both halves back together, stronger than ever.
3438364603_e5d8b82cb1_b.jpg

Blimey, it's certainly is getting warm today.
3439189776_e8a046dd4b_b.jpg

Aliberal coating of tallow on the sole and a good deal of polishing afterwards.
3438380955_c115a65a9b_b.jpg

Well, it's all reassembled, the moment of truth has arrived, bearing in mind, I have NEVER used one of these before :shock:
3438383061_a476970656_b.jpg

I am pleased with the result, I am puzzled as to why the shavings are so small, it could be that the cutting angle is wrong, but it was only guesswork on my part anyway.
3438385273_e188640215_b.jpg

Well, there is the result of 2 days recycling, I hope you have enjoyed the thread and other than labour, I have something for nothing, RARE, in this day and age.
3439188114_28e7a12865_b.jpg

Speaking of recycling, here you can see 3 home made "totes" these came from a vandalised coat/hat stand at the hospital where I work, there's always a use for something :wink:

Rich.

Rich,

I am not an expert at repairing woodies but I think your one has had the sole cut back to take an inset to close up the big mouth. If I am correct then finding a bit of something nice and hard wearing and glueing it into that gap will improve you plane.

Yup I agree the mouth has already had wood removed to allow an insert. Just use some beech or iroko or whatever you have handy thats hard and durable.

The wood at this point is pressing doen onto the timber and the lack of this may be why you are getting shavings which might be bettered.
regardss
Alan

PS. Noticed a couple of splits. You could epoxy them back together OR try to stop up the mouth and flood it with linseed oil and let it soack in for a few weeks.

Thanks for the advice chaps, I'll attend to that tomorrow and report back.

Rich.

3441769175_ffd18e528f_b.jpg

Well thanks for the tip guys, the insert has done the trick, I even made a "Philly" style knockometer for the wooden "cap" if that's what it's called, from the remnants of the coatstand and a beech head., thanks for looking and commenting.

Rich.

Back