Oh My - I've been so badly undercharging for my work !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sure what the issue here is.

You wouldn't buy it perhaps, but either someone is buying or the maker doesn't care that nobody is buying.

Why is it a problem?

The only odd thing is that they're also sold by a company that sells wood and veneers - presumably to people who make stuff from wood.
Nobody said there was a problem.
I think there's a question as to whether a block of solid wood, and poor quality wood at that, can be described as a table.

can be described as a table.

Of course it can. Two upturned beer crates and a bit of ply can be called a table.

Occasional table, occasional being the operative word here. Its size and shape are of little consequence.

Interesting how a forum of woodworkers, guarded against offending other members' creations, are more than happy to dump on an outsiders work.

On the other hand - I am sometimes asked how much I'd make a chair or stool for. Now, I normally answer that I don't make for sale, but if pressed I give them a sensible answer - there is a long day's work to get to a stool from an ash log and a pile of seagrass, and a very good 2-3 days in a chair taking into account steaming, turning, assembling, waxing and weaving. Usually the response is incredulous.

A while ago in our workshop we had a pile of junk - a pallet and 4 empty cable reels stacked up to go. The UPS delivery driver said "stick a plate of glass on top of that, and sell it for a few hundred quid as an 'industrial' coffee table" 🤣 - or maybe not.

It's what's called a free market economy.
  • beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I'm personally quite attracted to the very chunky solid wood style despite the missing craftsmanship and quality
  • cost to make has little to do with the price. Jewellery, perfumes, iphones, art, wine, antiques, designer clothes etc are all priced on what people perceive them to be worth, not what they cost.

Well you could order this in Canada!
EA5675A3-6018-4D1D-9BD0-2783C5448D17.jpeg

It's what's called a free market economy.
  • beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I'm personally quite attracted to the very chunky solid wood style despite the missing craftsmanship and quality
  • cost to make has little to do with the price. Jewellery, perfumes, iphones, art, wine, antiques, designer clothes etc are all priced on what people perceive them to be worth, not what they cost.
You are so right. I believe an I phone has 34$ of parts in it.

Back