Oh dear, spot the deliberate mistake

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alex H":1ep1n8yx said:
If there's any mistake, it's that beard :shock:
As a bearded man, I find that very beardist.
All proper woodworkers have beards, don't we? :x 8) :lol:
Oh, and getting back on topic. I agree that his technique, whilst it may seem 'rough' compared to those perfect, posed photoshoot examples in textbooks, is pretty much as I've seen in all the furniture I've handled over the years. As Richard says, rarely does a M&T not have a shoulder, so the bruising is irrelevant.
Remember he's feeding his family by doing woodwork, so time is money.
It doesn't mean you have to do the same though. If it's an issue, carry on doing it your way, which I have no doubt works, but probably takes a little longer.
I think as a lot of woodworkers learn their craft from written sources these days, it's easy to get lured into the trap of believing there's a 'best' way of doing things. Just look at the various sharpening threads.
In my opinion, and that's all it is, an opinion, the best way to learn is by doing something, and trying a few methods.
When you become proficient you start to tweak your methods anyhow, learning from experience what to avoid, and what can be done another, often easier, faster way.
I haven't met a woodworker who doesn't enjoy what they do ( or at least used to enjoy it).
Remember why you're doing what you do - because it's such a pleasure to create something (remember that feeling of the first time you made something, and it looked just as you'd wished it would?), and above all HAVE FUN.
All the best,
Adam

Aces and Eights":ivwo7yh0 said:
Alex H":ivwo7yh0 said:
If there's any mistake, it's that beard :shock:
As a bearded man, I find that very beardist.
All proper woodworkers have beards, don't we? :x 8) :lol:
Oh, and getting back on topic. I agree that his technique, whilst it may seem 'rough' compared to those perfect, posed photoshoot examples in textbooks, is pretty much as I've seen in all the furniture I've handled over the years. As Richard says, rarely does a M&T not have a shoulder, so the bruising is irrelevant.
Remember he's feeding his family by doing woodwork, so time is money.
It doesn't mean you have to do the same though. If it's an issue, carry on doing it your way, which I have no doubt works, but probably takes a little longer.
I think as a lot of woodworkers learn their craft from written sources these days, it's easy to get lured into the trap of believing there's a 'best' way of doing things. Just look at the various sharpening threads.
In my opinion, and that's all it is, an opinion, the best way to learn is by doing something, and trying a few methods.
When you become proficient you start to tweak your methods anyhow, learning from experience what to avoid, and what can be done another, often easier, faster way.
I haven't met a woodworker who doesn't enjoy what they do ( or at least used to enjoy it).
Remember why you're doing what you do - because it's such a pleasure to create something (remember that feeling of the first time you made something, and it looked just as you'd wished it would?), and above all HAVE FUN.
All the best,
Adam

Well said Adam (apart from the beard bit)

It's not commonly known, but Mr. Follansbee was the prototype for a certain character in Pirates of the Carribbean. Imagine the tricorn hat and you're right there, in seventeenth century Hispaniola.

Seriously, I think he's brilliant. Some of the stuff he's done on/for The Woodwright's Shop is outstanding, and the archeology-by-imitation thing is great. He made a panelled chest in a recent series, and showed how you got a rotationally symmetric pattern of overcut grooves in the legs/corner posts, because of the need to overrun the plane (working right-handed). Brilliant piece of deduction, never mind his actual craftsmanship.

E.

PS: he openly disagrees with Roy Underhill on this one. Roy levers against a couple of mm of waste at each end, and pares it away last, so as to not have bruised corners. PF says it doesn't matter as the corners don't show. They've not revealed which ends they open their boiled eggs at breakfast...

Eric The Viking":1oy2f327 said:
PS: he openly disagrees with Roy Underhill on this one. Roy levers against a couple of mm of waste at each end, and pares it away last, so as to not have bruised corners. PF says it doesn't matter as the corners don't show.

I think they're both right, and the answers are compatible.

As far as I can imagine, Roy's suggestion should be no slower - there's just two cuts (the end ones) that are made later in Roy's method than Peter's method, but the number of cuts is the same.

But Peter is right too - it doesn't matter, since it's not seen.

My conclusion is - I'll see it during construction, and b*gger anyone else seeing the finished piece - so I'm with Roy.

BugBear

Eeer sorry am I missing something. Was he not demonstrating what went on within the mortice hole as the work progressed. If so does it really matter what it looks like as it is a demonstration. I have been to other demonstartion where the demonstrator is shown the technique and not an a classed finished item, and the finished item is well.eeeeer rubbish. But they still showed the technique. I bet if he was making a commission, his work efficacy would be a load different than that of a demonstration.

In regards to beards (have no issues with them), how many families of squirels do you reckon live in there?????

Latest posts

Back