Oh dear, should I clean this plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t8hants

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just acquired this wooden 22" jointer plane, but it is covered in the dust of ages and looks wonderful, almost as if it has just been put down by its master. I got it to use, but the more I look at it with its covering of dust, the more I like it as it is, not using it however would seem a betrayal of all it has been in the past! Oh the dilemma, to clean or not to clean, that is the question!
G

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,412
I would clean as in as much as removal of dust but the "Patina" would remain, flatten the sole (if needed) sharpen and enjoy. I recently picked up one of our old ones from the shelf, a few worm holes and grime, did not stop it cutting very well indeed.

t8hants":2xmo758u said:
I have just acquired this wooden 22" jointer plane, but it is covered in the dust of ages and looks wonderful, almost as if it has just been put down by its master. I got it to use, but the more I look at it with its covering of dust, the more I like it as it is, not using it however would seem a betrayal of all it has been in the past! Oh the dilemma, to clean or not to clean, that is the question!
G

They're common enough; if you like the looks of that one, leave it alone, and buy another to use.

But what you see there isn't the mark of use, it's the mark of storage.

BugBear

I have a lot of uncleaned wooden planes, mostly made by unknown people - here in USSR people, who lived in small citiies often made tools themselves.
When I have time I always clean and make plane to working condition.
Probably is 'plane disease' but it seems to me that when I make shavings by an old plane, when I use this plane, saw etc (any tool) these are my thanks to unknown old master, probably died 100 or more years ago but his tool is alive.

It's entirely up to you of course; there is no necessity to remove dirt to make a tool work.

With my own tools I try to remove the effect of neglect (years in a dirty shed, cobwebs, most rust) and put tools into the sort of state they would be in if they had been continuously used by a succession of owners who took good care of them.

That means they will still look old; will show the position of the user's hands by different colour on the wood, but will not be unpleasant to handle or leave marks on the work. But they won't deteriorate any further.

A wipe over with a damp or an oily rag is good for getting light dirt off. For more severe neglect I use 'wood reviver' as described here https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums...t-4-general-cleaning-with-reviver-t64945.html

I had another good look at the plane, and realised the dust is probably from an non-existent extraction system. So that has already gone. I might try a little light rub with some teak oil, as that is what I have in stock, but aren't those old blades massive. The blade is a Marples, but I can find no other marks or names on the body.

G

t8hants":1dlngd59 said:
I had another good look at the plane, and realised the dust is probably from an non-existent extraction system. So that has already gone. I might try a little light rub with some teak oil, as that is what I have in stock, but aren't those old blades massive. The blade is a Marples, but I can find no other marks or names on the body.

G

I would start by using a stiff brush to remove the dust/crud.

I would think VERY carefully before using teak or linseed oil, since these will darken the colour, pretty much irreversibly.

BugBear

It won't necessarily have been marked - it was such a generic, universally-needed tool - but if there is a maker's name it will be on the toe. It was probably fairly small lettering originally and may have been obscured by later hammering. Sometimes a careful wiping with turps / white spirit under a good light will show up a name which was invisible before.

I just used mineral Turps on a cotton rag for my woodie. Removes most of the dirt and grime. I then put a couple of coats of Danish oil. I don't really see the point of them looking like a piece of junk. Heck I'm not against someone removing material to make them look new(ish) - providing they aren't doing it to some rare valuable example. Not many care for them and they are hardly expensive, highly sought after items. Just have to look on Ebay to realise that.

I have found a makers name it appears to be Archer of 45 Goodoe St. Should that be Stormont Archer I wonder?

G

I think that is quite remarkable. There can be very few trades where you can pick up a tool that is at least 150 years old, and provided you have sharpened it correctly and have sufficient wit, you can confidently expect it to do the job it was made to perform. That certainly isn't the case with steelwork.

Gareth

Back