Odie's Oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelAD

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently stumbled over a youtube video about Odie's Oil (I know...I do stumble over a lot of things these days...must start to take more water with it).
Any road up, I looked up the Odie site and noted the eye watering price of their oil. Has anyone used it? Is it worth the money? What is the meaning of life?

I did say the price is eye watering...however, I'm still curious as to whether or not anyone has used it? (even a teaspoon full).

Out of curiosity, I did a course on Domestika, and that maker also used Odie's oil, had never heard of it, but there are some alternatives which are lower cost, and a few which are even more expensive. Apparently you only need a little, so a little pot goes a long way.

I found this video interesting he compares several finishing on different wood types:

Little weird that Odie's were so unwilling to have their product in a video, especially given the outcome.

Think I'll stick to BLO at 4 euros for half a liter, and my home brewn paste wax (BLO, little terp, beeswax from the reform shop, bit of lemon oil).

Jarno...I did watch that video and several others too. Over the years I have used different 'concoctions ' (both home made and store bought) for finishing. I had never heard of Odie's Oil until only a few days ago, so for me this was a 'brand new' product. Jury is still out though...

Snake oil huh?...if you look at the label on an Odie's Oil jar and compare it to the label on a jar of Clark Stanley's Snake Oil Liniment (Wikiquote under Snake Oil)...it makes one think...:)

Yeah, I'm using Odies on almost everything. Love it, easiest product to apply, and though the jar is small, and expensive for the volume, you don't really use much of it on application. Simpy rub on with scotch bride and leave for 30 minutes. Dry it up with towel, job done. I'm now slowly getting rid of other finishes. They are just not atractive to me anymore. I'm keeping Tung oil for cutting boards.

haven't used it, I just stick to BLO because I'm cheap, also really like pure tung oil sometimes as well even though it takes an age to fully cure.

I picked up 4 jars Oil, Dark Oil, Wax, Dark wax at a trade show here in France from the EU distributor (i think they are based in Hungary or something). A lot LOT cheaper than retail so I took them. While at first I liked it, I don’t use it anymore as every piece I‘ve put it on has needed reapplication after a year at best. Oak, walnut, elm…all the same. Rubio much better but never the “mono” coat they claim, expensive here though. Haven’t had to refinish anything at all though though, including a walnut transition step which still looks perfect after near 3yrs of very high traffic.
This year I’ve been using an oil from Blanchon which doesn’t change the colour of the wood at all, no ambering. Too early to tell for sure but so far it’s looking like becoming my finish of choice.

Latest posts

Back