Odd request - size of Nespresso capsule!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
I wanted to make a quick drawer to hold Nespresso capsules, with the machine on top. Stupidly the machine and capsules are at work so don't have the exact dimensions of the capsules.

Would anyone be so kind as to measure the exact dimensions of a capsule?

You can have a free coffee when you next pass my shop ;)!

Thanks!

Gidon

No way - scoured the web trying to find dimensions! Even looked at the Nespresso patents! But didn't find that.

That will probably do - if anyone has a capsule to hand would quite like the lip dimension too - although haven't worked out what I'm trying to do yet!

Many thanks Paul.

Gidon

Gidon, I've just made this for my sister as an Xmas present. Let me know what details you need and I'll measure tomorrow.

5415a2affc579b490ee093adcb47e142.jpg

Thanks that's very helpful Mike.

Noggsy - that looks great!

I'll try and post my efforts. Using up scraps from an old children's cot - so unlikely to be quick!

Cheers

Gidon

dickm":101oqx2a said:
:twisted: What is the point of buying all that plastic to feed some poncey over-priced machine?? What's wrong with proper ground coffee in a filter??? :evil:

Different types of coffee - depends whether you like espresso or not!

I do and also have a Gaggia manual machine which was great but in a shop is far too much faff - especially making for customers. Plus to get the results I get from the Nespresso I'd need freshly ground coffee. Ground (espresso grind) coffee, even a week old I found no good for espresso.

Expensive machine - no! Paid £55 + VAT! Pods are expensive (that's where their money is made) but no waste.

Gidon

I have a Nespresso and I love it. I couldn't be doing with the faff of grinding beans, then tamping and using a machine that would cost similar or more than the cost of the Nespresso and then also having to have a milk steamer / frother.

Nespresso does all of that with no effort. We do have a "proper" machine somewhere but it was such a faff that it never got used. Nespresso does the same thing effectively it puts hot water through coffee that is tampered down. It will also heart up hot milk if you want it to. It's quicker, less messy and it's easy to cope with different peoples choices.

I hope to see the end results of these Nespresso capsule holders as I may have to shamelessly copy!

DiscoStu":qncvkysc said:
I have a Nespresso and I love it. I couldn't be doing with the faff of grinding beans, then tamping and using a machine that would cost similar or more than the cost of the Nespresso and then also having to have a milk steamer / frother.

Nespresso does all of that with no effort. We do have a "proper" machine somewhere but it was such a faff that it never got used. Nespresso does the same thing effectively it puts hot water through coffee that is tampered down. It will also heart up hot milk if you want it to. It's quicker, less messy and it's easy to cope with different peoples choices.

I hope to see the end results of these Nespresso capsule holders as I may have to shamelessly copy!

+1!

Woodmonkey":315jn4n9 said:
DiscoStu":315jn4n9 said:

+1!

+ another 1

And here it is ...

The inside is recycled bed slats from one of my children's cot! The front is Walnut and the enclosure is Ash - all scraps.

Spray varnish, rubbed out with paste wax.

I find making small stuff more difficult!

Inside - used Incra fence on router table to cut housing. Recently switched over to metric tracks for Incra fence - makes it far more usable.

First time I've used a tracksaw for cutting mitres - perfect results. Sides of enclosure were too thin to use tracksaw so had to use table saw which was less accurate. Was all a bit rushed - planned to use dominos to join sides, but used pins to hold glue since clamping a 3-sided structure is not easy!

Holds 32 capsules - my current fave Arpeggio! Note on Nespresso - was disappointed with it until I adjusted espresso shot. By default the machine gives you a 40ml shot was in my opinion is horrible. But you can change the size and have set to 25ml which is excellent and better than I get at any local coffee shop! And better than I ever got with a manual machine.

Cheers

Gidon

Attachments

• 2015-01-07_10-09-48.jpg
    2015-01-07_10-09-48.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 100
  • SNAG_Program-0001.jpg
    SNAG_Program-0001.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 100
Back