Odd question:

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
What sizes are pen blanks? I have been asked to make some fancy crochet hooks and was wondering if pen blanks are big enough. I need wood that is about 7 - 7 1/2" long. Never having made pens I haven't a clue as they never put the size on the ads for them. I suspect that they are a lot shorter than that.

Pete

They are normally approx 3/4" sq x approx 6" long.

I was at 'Good Timber' just outside coventry and spoke to the chap there about getting longer ones as I was trying to make some homemade veneer inlay and he said with notice he could cut to order (although he then started to pile on cutting fees & wastage allowance etc and so I did not take it further).

Pete

Just measured one I have in front of me, it's 5 1/2" long by 3/4" x 3/4".

Might be worth looking at lace bobbin blanks, I think these are longer but not sure as I've never turned any.

Steve.

Simon can type faster than me ! :oops:

what woods are you looking for Pete ? I might be abler to help.

She wants wood with grain and figuring and it needs to be a strong wood, stuff like pine, tulipwood etc would be no good. I measured my wifes hooks and they are 6" long which doesn't leave much room for play with pen/bobbin blanks as the longest I have found so far are just on the 7" mark at 250mm. I have some small planks of Iroko that I'll slice up into blanks to do a couple of practice runs. The sort of thing she is looking for is like these. Spindle is no problem but I'll need to get the hook right.

Pete

Probably boxwood is ideal. You can get some fantastic black streaking in the yellow and it is the hardest wood grown in Britain which is why it was used for wood engraving years ago.

Bodrighy":1no285wx said:
She wants wood with grain and figuring and it needs to be a strong wood, stuff like pine, tulipwood etc would be no good. I measured my wifes hooks and they are 6" long which doesn't leave much room for play with pen/bobbin blanks as the longest I have found so far are just on the 7" mark at 250mm. I have some small planks of Iroko that I'll slice up into blanks to do a couple of practice runs. The sort of thing she is looking for is like these. Spindle is no problem but I'll need to get the hook right.

Pete

Ive got any ammount of 1" sq oak (and iroko come to that) which have okay grain in offcuts longer than 7" pete , if you pm me an address i'll bundle a few up and post them down.

big soft moose":7k1p9np4 said:
Bodrighy":7k1p9np4 said:

Pete

Ive got any ammount of 1" sq oak (and iroko come to that) which have okay grain in offcuts longer than 7" pete , if you pm me an address i'll bundle a few up and post them down.

BSM you are a star PM sent

yep Iroko I can do. Nothing with an interesting grain pattern really. Maybe some Oak?

Thinking about it ive got some spelted beech too - trouble is i doubt it will be strong enough for crochet, maybe if it was soaked in CA or SS and let harden - i might bung one bit in so you can try

wizer":11jmcjgc said:
what woods are you looking for Pete ? I might be abler to help.

Tom, after looking at the pics in your other thread that is an understatement :) !!

Pete - i've got some box that I can cut into the sizes you need - I bought it for pens but haven't done them and have more than enough (wash my mouth out with soap!!) to spare some. If interested PM with address and length /thickness and I'll see what I can do.

Dave

I recieved a parcel of wood blanks yesterday and couldn't read the address so thanks to whoever it was. I am at present computer less thanks to an overhead lightning storm so am awaiting a new router from Tiscali.

pete

Thought this may be of interest to you from "Turned treasures" they have a how to on turning Crochet hooks. No idea if I'm teaching you to suck egg's or anything but I was going to make a French knitting Nanny for a friend with a crochet hook to match and I found the article interesting and informative.

http://www.turnedtreasures.com/project. ... _hook.html

Bodrighy":mkcvljd0 said:
I recieved a parcel of wood blanks yesterday and couldn't read the address so thanks to whoever it was. I am at present computer less thanks to an overhead lightning storm so am awaiting a new router from Tiscali.

pete
Pete - if it was the boxwood blanks then it was from me - I thought I had stamped the back of the package with my details!

Bodrighy":1dx8dq2d said:

pete

Mine went in the post saturday (they were oak) so i'd be suprised if the ones you recieved were mine

Back