October Woodturning Challenge - THE RESULTS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
All entrants' and judges scoring now in so here are the results of the monthly completion for October (a bangle):

Judge's Comments and Scores

1st Steve F - A simple design, well executed which shows off the timber to it's best. Well done - 10 points
2nd Dalboy - The blue initially put me off - it is quite bright! - but it has grown on me looking at it several times. The bangle is well made to a nice shape with a good round curve. Great work - 8 points
3rd Monkeybiter - A little on the heavy side but a good concept and well thought out. The rings - which are potentially a weak point - are sunk below the surface for protection. Good level of finish, technically challenging and well executed. Well done - 6 points
4th Wybrook - Simple- yes, well made? Absolutely! I have no problem with simple but it has to be perfect, and I can't fault this bangle. Well done - 4 points
5th Denisk - Simple design that shows off a beautiful piece of timber. It looks a little heavy and I would worry that the natural faults may weaken it, but time will tell! Good work - 2 points

All other entrants get one point each.

Well done all entries, some great ideas and an ever increasing standard of work and level of finish.

Keep up the good work,

Richard.
Roundup

Entrants' Scores

1st with three first places and a total of twelve marks - monkeybiter - 5 points
2nd with two first places and ten marks - SteveF - 4 points
3rd with one first place and nine marks - Dalboy - 3 points
4th equal with eight marks - mikebeetle and leisurefix - 2 points each

Overall Scores

1st and winner of this month's plaque with 14 points - SteveF. Congratulations! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
2nd equal with 11 points - monkeybiter and dalboy
4th with 4 points - Wybrook
5th equal with 3 points - mikebeetle and leisurefix.

Year to Date Scores:-

Dalboy 87
Dennisk 82
KimG 43
Sheptonphil 34
woodmonkey 31
Random Orbital Bob 27
wybrook 26
nev 24
Grahamshed 21
heatherw 18
sammo 16
SteveF 15
tpot 14
winemaker 13
monkeybiter 11
J-G 9
swb58 8
procell 7
Soylent1 5
leisurefix 3
mikebeetle 3
NickWelford 3
Tazmaniandevil 3
Vic Perrin 2
gregmcateer 1
jethro 1
Melinda_dd 1
Rich Morgan 1

Thanks to Richard for the judging and well done to all entrants, especially those with lots of points!!

Good stuff, well done Steve! I made one but it blew up part way through and I ran out of time :)

Nice to see so many having a go.

Great to see a bigger entry for October . A great selection of designs and excellent results from all .
Hard on the judge but I would say he got it just right .

Congrats to all who took part its great for me to see so many entries ,For those who were in the prizes well done
If it was your first entry well now you know how easy it is to showcase your work and maybe pick up a prize .
Well done Mike ,you will be a hard act to follow,but thank you for your imput and enjoy whatever it is you will be doing .

God Bless .

A little late with my comments - I’ve been busy since Thursday with rehearsal of, and performance in, a concert last night in aid of The Macular Society.

Congratulations to SteveF.

A difficult challenge to judge due to the simplistic nature of a ‘bangle’ but I think Richard did a tremendous job by providing reasoned critique and sorting out the pure turning abilities from the technical aspects displayed.

Back