Oak Wood grain in a lid for blanket chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harvestbarn

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the first project of this type I have attempted made out of white oak. I have used in general 60mm wide planks and reversed the grain when gluing panels. The chest is almost complete except the lid, without buying additional timber which will most likely be at a different moisture content I have the following options and would like some advice on the choices.

1) Use 60mm planks 1M long glued probably with biscuits to help alignment. To achieve this option a number of spliced joints will be needed as I only have 4 lengths over 1M in length. What type of splice would be recommended?

2) I could mortice and tenon a frame with two planks top and bottom then turn the grain 90 deg and infill with short panels this will I think look attractive but I fear it may split. The finished size is 1M x 0.6M x 18mm thick, it may end up sligtly thinner if I need to plane it again if it has moved too much.

3) I could space the 4 lengths again in a mortised outer frame and then infill with the grain at 90 deg the smaller spaces.

4) Buy some more timber and leave it in the work shop which is now between 55 and 60% moisture (dependant on outside weather conditions) for a few weeks.

In option 2 & 3 would it be best to slot the timber and put a mortice on each end of the infill pieces.

oak_chest_1.jpg

I don't understand why you're so concerned about differential moisture content. Do you know the history, of your current Oak (air dried, kilned, etc)? If so buy something to match, machine it 3-6mm over sized in each dimension, then leave it in stick in your workshop to acclimatise for a few weeks.

Nice blanket chest by the way!

Back