Oak sideboard/cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew

Established Member
Reaction score
First pics from a forum newbie, so be gentle :)

Just finished this sideboard made from (rather more figured than I'd planned) oak. Am a relative newcomer to woodwork (3 years or so) so some of the finer points could probably be improved, but overall I'm quite pleased with it...

sideboard1.jpg

Colours are a bit washed out, I'm not much of a photographer...

sideboard2.jpg

Left hand side is shelves for DVD player etc. Note special guest :)

sideboard3.jpg

Compound angle finger joints (my term, is there a better one?) on the corners were tricky, the last ones I cut were much better than the first ones...

sideboard5.jpg

...and the same goes for these joints on the legs.

sideboard4.jpg

Middle and right are all drawers, making 6 draws is more work than I bargained on!

Thanks for looking - any comments/suggestions appreciated!

Matthew

Very nice!!!
I do like the snazzy dovetails-why did you go for these over regular ones? And how did you cut them?
Keep up the good work,
Philly :D

Matthew,

Nice work well done. You are not going to kid us that this is your first project are you? :wink:

Andy

Thanks very much for your comments, much appreciated!

Colin C":3l4v8y4o said:
HI Matthew
Well done on you first project, a job well done =D> :)
dedee":3l4v8y4o said:
You are not going to kid us that this is your first project are you? :wink:

Oops, sorry - think my wording suggested this was first project - it's not, just first one posted here. There have been a number of mishaps before this - and everything I've made has suffered from at least one router incident!

Philly":3l4v8y4o said:
I do like the snazzy dovetails-why did you go for these over regular ones? And how did you cut them?

I originally wanted to try something with Japanese dovetails but they were deemed too decorative for this so gave up - then came across this idea somewhere. Seemed like a good opportunity to practise - they were all hand-cut (although the larger bits of waste were removed with the router).

They have to be marked out very accurately, the compound angle means you can't cut one side then use that to mark the other (unless I'm missing something, quite possible?) as with normal dovetails, you have to just mark both and cut them kind of on faith. The last lot I cut were definitely better than the first :!:

Apart from the fact that I don't have a dovetail jig (a Leigh would cost almost as much as the P/T I need!) I quite like trying things that I know you couldn't do with one (again maybe I'm missing something, wonder if it's possible?)

First project or fiftieth, I think it's stunning =D>

The design is beautiful, and the execution matches the design. Love the joinery, too.

That character oak does nothing but add to it.

Ooo, now that's a bit different. Nicely done. I think you're right though; a bit less figure would have done better justice to the design of the front. Certainly not a design breaker though. =D>

Cheers, Alf

Lovely piece. It reminds me of that Terence Woodgate sideboard for SCP.

Matthew,

That is a lovely piece. =D> The only thing I'd change would be the hinges.

Very nice work, Matthew =D> =D> =D>

The only comment I would make is that I think the strips on the front alternating this way and that way, combined with the pattern of the grain, makes the front of the piece visually a bit confusing. The problem with this sort of thing is that it is sometimes difficult to visualise until the piece is finished.

However, that's being hyper-critical because you asked for feedback. I still think it's cracking for a first big project =D>

Paul

Matthew,

Very nice work.:D

Nick W":1ew8a6ab said:
The only thing I'd change would be the hinges.
I agree with Nick, they do look a bit out of place, I think I would have use some sort of brass flap hinge and rare earth magnets to hold the fronts closed. :-k

Jake":3vy2y0x4 said:
It reminds me of that Terence Woodgate sideboard for SCP.
I didn't know that piece, just looked it up - very nice! I got the idea for this after seeing something similar at Benchmark, another favourite site for getting inspiration.

One of my main reasons for getting into this was to be able to make nice clean modern furniture - most of the things my other half likes cost well into four figures!

Nick W":3vy2y0x4 said:
The only thing I'd change would be the hinges.
I agree - I wasn't really happy using these concealed hinges, but I couldn't find alternatives. I've used nice Soss hinges before (£££ but managed to get a few samples) but the shelves here weren't thick enough to support them.

Wanted to use some nice brass/nickel hinges & catches as suggested, but when the doors open, they have to clear the (quite thick) top of the one below, hence resorting to the ones you see, which move the door upwards as it opens. Ideas? :-k

Paul Chapman":3vy2y0x4 said:
I think the strips on the front alternating this way and that way, combined with the pattern of the grain, makes the front of the piece visually a bit confusing.
Yes, I see your point about this - I sort of agree but I guess the thing about making one-off things (especially at my level of experience) is that everything is a prototype - as with hinges above! I also try and use some new technique for each thing I make which doesn't help :) (Still it does actually look a bit better in situ.)

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to comment!

matthew":2qba3dwj said:
Oops, sorry - think my wording suggested this was first project - it's not, just first one posted here.

Matthew, your wording did not confuse me at all. I apologise, what I was hoping for was a response with some more of your work. :roll:

There are alternatives top the Soss hinges. I used these on a recent project.

Andy

Matthew

Looks very nice indeed.

Can't quite work out from the photos whether the grooves are parallel or diverge and converge.

Also, do those joints esp on the feet have a weakness inherent in their design with little continuous long grain?

I have used a variety of flap hinges inc these ones which I think work best:

342.66.718P1.JPEG

Cheers

Tim

dedee":3q31hig8 said:
There are alternatives top the Soss hinges. I used these on a recent project.

tim":3q31hig8 said:
I have used a variety of flap hinges inc these ones which I think work best:

Thanks for the hinge suggestions, will look into these in the future. This time round I was a bit stuck because:

a) because these doors butt up together, flap hinges like this would mean that the top two wouldn't open without opening the one below - it would get in the way. Viewed in section where two doors meet it would look like this:
Code:
 ---
|   |
|   |
|   | --------
 --- | (shelf here)
|   | --------
|   |
|   |
 ---

so they can't lay flat. These (somewhat unsightly) concealed hinges lift the door upwards as it opens.

b) Much more to the point, I changed the design halfway through (hammer) Was originally going to stick them all together to make one large side-opening door and only decided on these once the carcass was made. So couldn't bore out holes inside for nicer shelves :(

Can't quite work out from the photos whether the grooves are parallel or diverge and converge.

They are tapered - got them all cut to the same angle and then alternated to get this pattern.

Also, do those joints esp on the feet have a weakness inherent in their design with little continuous long grain?

Good point - they are mainly decorative, to echo the angled joints on the edges, but in the direction they are taking the weight (down) I don't think it's an issue. But they were quite fine when I was cutting them - I was sure at least one was going to break then put together but they managed to survive :)

Cheers, M

Back