Oak shelves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattty

Established Member
Reaction score
I started this today, just a quick job for a local.
The brief was- "Design me a nice 'different' shelf unit to go there"- I decided to make 2.
I designed this-
DSCF2397.JPG

It's about 600mm sq and 150mm deep.

Full size drawing-
DSCF2395.JPG

Oak prepared, sanded, cut to length and dominoed ( 8) rob). It was a nightmare to clamp up, 17 clamps in use..
DSCF2393.JPG

Another nice job in the making.

You seem to have gone into productivity hyperdrive recently...

Cheers, Ed

That's not a shelf it's an arty clamp holder.

You have been busy though if you did that and go to an auction

yes I do like the doubling up. I tend to do that, but only cos I know I'll cock something up :roll: :wink:

The design looks really nice, looking forward to seeing it done. Another thumbs up for the Domino :roll: :cry:

Thanks chaps

EdSutton":2qvfcmnp said:
Another nice job in the making.

You seem to have gone into productivity hyperdrive recently...

Cheers, Ed

More shop work at the moment Ed, also i'm photo'ing for portfolio purposes, so just posting them as well.

I really like looking at others work, and assume others do to. I am concious though that maybe i'm posting to much.

Never, the projects section is my favourite part of the forum, always like seeing new stuff on here.

And I'll let Tom tell you about posting too much :D

I don't understand, 'what is posting too much'? Sounds like Greek to me.

wizer":1uka06f3 said:
I don't understand, 'what is posting too much'? Sounds like Greek to me.
I suppose i meant starting wip threads. I seem to have posted a few recently.

Matt that's like going to the playboy mansion and apologising for taking seven blondes with you :roll: :lol:

If i had 7 blondes i deffo wouldn't be going to PB mansion.. stopping in bed i think :)

Another nice piece, Mattty. It is 'different' and I like it (sorry, I mean 'they are'!). I really like how you've created a focal point of the centre. Were you given specific spacings to work to? Do you know what is going to be stored in these?

Only thing to watch out for one these forums is for people like Pinky in Boro who steal your photos and put them on their own site!! :D Other than that, with all this promotion of the Domino, Festool may want to start sponsoring you! :wink:

What finish are you going for?

If it were me, I'd only now be finishing off a jig to cut the sliding dovetail housings... :oops: :D

Ask your client if they would like a matching table to go with the shelving!! :lol: :lol:

101_1116.jpg

(Sorry, this was the only pic I had to hand, its since gotten a glass top).

Naturally I quite like the shelving unit! :) Look forward to seeing her finished up and in place.

Hi Croppy,

Jeez i feel a bit embarrased, did you do a thread about it? I feel like a rip off merchant. That's a very nice design mate. I don't recall seeing it, but i wonder if i have and have been heavily inspired by it.

Mattty":3qzig7d2 said:
I suppose i meant starting wip threads. I seem to have posted a few recently.
This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen written on any forum, anywhere, ever! ;)

Seriously Mattty, I agree with all the other comments, the WIP threads on the projects section are far and away my favourite and there are nowhere near enough of them for my liking. So please take that as a challenge to post as many as you can possibly muster! :)

Mattty":3tmml9li said:
Hi Croppy,

Jeez i feel a bit embarrased, did you do a thread about it? I feel like a rip off merchant. That's a very nice design mate. I don't recall seeing it, but i wonder if i have and have been heavily inspired by it.

Hi Croppy,
I know you aren't suggesting i plagerised you work but but it has really got to me.

This has been bothering me all morning- to the extent that i've come back in from the workshop to post again.

My starting point for this design was drawing a 600mm box, which was the size allocated to me for the shelves.
When i discussed it with the client we agreed 2 shelves would be about right so i sketched them in, she also liked the idea of having a drawer or door somewhere as she has seen the other shelves i've posted on here which have drawers.
I then drew two vertical dividers, it was from there that the idea was formed, by removing part of the shelf and dividers, it gained the propeller effect and also made a natural box in the centre for a door to go on.

The principle was also very much based around compnent length, the four outer pieces are identical as are the four inner pieces and four door sides.

The similarity is uncanny, and although i may well have been influenced by your table, it was certainly uncounciously. I genuinely hope you realise this, and don't take offence at the design.
Thanks

Matt, there's nothing new under the sun, I'm sure this was just a coincidence.

Matty,

it reflects well on you that this bothers you so much. However, this is such a common motif that no-one would ever accuse you of pinching the idea. You will have absorbed this sub-consciously from any number of places over your lifetime. Don't beat yourself up about it!!

As it happens, I built a similar unit years ago, but instead of having everything horizontal and vertical I rotated the inner shelves by......ooh, say 10 degrees, which meant that the books all lay down a bit, and don't need bookends to be held in place. The side walls of the outer were paralellagrammed to the same angle.

Mike

PS I agree with Mark that this ought to be the busiest part of the forum. Don't ever apologise for posting stuff!!

Mattty":2kmjiaku said:
Mattty":2kmjiaku said:
Hi Croppy,

Hi Croppy,
I know you aren't suggesting i plagerised you work but but it has really got to me.

This has been bothering me all morning- to the extent that i've come back in from the workshop to post again.

My starting point for this design was drawing a 600mm box, which was the size allocated to me for the shelves.
When i discussed it with the client we agreed 2 shelves would be about right so i sketched them in, she also liked the idea of having a drawer or door somewhere as she has seen the other shelves i've posted on here which have drawers.
I then drew two vertical dividers, it was from there that the idea was formed, by removing part of the shelf and dividers, it gained the propeller effect and also made a natural box in the centre for a door to go on.

The principle was also very much based around compnent length, the four outer pieces are identical as are the four inner pieces and four door sides.

The similarity is uncanny, and although i may well have been influenced by your table, it was certainly uncounciously. I genuinely hope you realise this, and don't take offence at the design.
Thanks

Will you stop Mattty! :lol: Dont be worrying about it, I did have a thread a number of months back about the table, but it was fairly short and I never finished it to be honest........oops.

I've never seen a shelf design like that, and to be honest if I were making a shelfing unit I probably would never have thought of such a design, it'd never have occured to me. I just thought it was funny how your shelfing unit had a similarity to something I made, heck, we could make a whole range of furniture based on the Brigids cross design :wink:

Like I said in the earlier thread, I'm looking forward to seeing this done and hope that you didnt take any offence from my posting, it wasnt intended that way :)

Thanks Croppy, much appreciated, and thanks for the other comments. The shelves are finished, just a final quick coat of wax ane ready for hanging. I'll post the pics tomorrow.

I wouldn't worry about it Matty, it's just like any other creative process such as writing, painting or making music, you can't help but be influenced by others and you should be.

Think we've all done it to some extent at one time or another

Back