Oak shelves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit slow in posting this, but all done-
DSCF2474.JPG

The door panels are burr Walnut veneer, (pear veneer on the back)
The pulls are Walnut.

DSCF2477.JPG

DSCF2481.JPG

Matt I think it's brilliant! I absolutely love the design and the Walnut doors really set it off. This is one of those that I certainly will NOT be showing the missus, as I know she'll love it too! :lol:

Excellent Matt. Well done.

I'm just trying to picture whether they would be improved with a back on them........but they are really nice as they are.

Mike

Hmm, they look a bit like something I once made.....

Only joking. I think they look great Matty and for what its worth I think (as others have said) that most of what we all make are variations on a theme and coincidences are bound to occur.

In my major design project, in the final year of my Architecture degree I had a crit with a visiting professor who had not seen my scheme during its development and accused me of copying a building I had never even seen, because of some similarities to a building he knew of. By taking him through my design process I could demonstrate that I had arrived at a solution that fitted the brief and that I had designed the building, not cribbed it from elsewhere. It just goes to show though, that its very easy to throw out a comment about similarities to other things, when in reality its no more than coincidence at work.

Ed

Nice bit of walnut veneer. Did you have any trouble with the glue seeping through that burr at all?

Are the hinges just standard brass butts?

Thanks for the replies chaps. I confess, they are a little more rushed and maybe not as detailed as more recent work, but within budget.

Olly, no probs with the veneer, but it wasn't paticularly pourous.
The hinges are an ok quality SOLID brass that cost about £10 for boxes of 20. I spend five minutes polishing them with a mop on a grinder and they come up lovely, and much better than most of the alternatives i've seen. I accept there not Brusso quality though!

Right... who wants to see an Oak sideboard W.I.P...

They do look good Matt. My only very slight critcism is that the hinges look a little big for the door and it may have looked better with either some pivot hinges top and bottom or a small pair of concealed soss hinges.

I think we need to see that oak sideboard.

cheers

Jon

Yeah they do look big in the photos. I tried some 25mm and they looked to small. Deffo, pin hinges would have been better..i didn't have any in my magic stores though and rushed a little.

Latest posts

Back