Oak prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, all air dried too.

i'm in the south gers, could be worth borrowing a decent truck to load up, i can only get two trunks in my van at a time.....still probably worth it at that.

where in the limousin?

i've got to chip now,

message you later for the details.

cheers froggy,

jeff

Thanks for all the responses, I told him it wouldn't be cheap, and 2 or three narrower boards edge jointed with biscuits should do the trick.

Reason he wants it so chunky is to tie in with existing mantle piece.

Rich, you could save a bunch of money making it out of veneered MDF. With the added benefit of it being much lighter. I can guarantee that, with the right design, it will look every bit as real as solid wood.

Tom's right, our window sills are veneered MDF with an oak lipping to give the illusion of greater thickness. Look like big slabs of oak

promhandicam":25abq2b2 said:
Richard Findley":25abq2b2 said:
Hi,

I bought some 2 1/2" AWO not too long ago (3" would be a bit more though!). As others have said, width will most likely be a problem but edge jointing is easy and perfectly acceptable. I paid £2600 ish incl VAT per m3. You are asking for about 0.061 m3 so it would cost around £160. You generally need to allow about 50% wastage (we're now at £240) + any profit you want to make.

HTH

Richard

I guess your supplier must have big windows to see you coming :shock: I pay about £25 ft³ for American White Oak which is approx £1000 m³. You will however only get one edge and one face free of sap wood - not a problem if you are edge jointing 2 pieces but worth bearing in mind.

Steve

Hi Steve,

£1000 for 1" AWO is about right but prices seem to sour on anything thicker. I use James Latham, if you are only paying £1000m3 for 3" AWO I'd love to know your supplier!!

Richard

I stumbled across this site after looking for someone who could supply some waney edge oak, and this looks like a pretty good site.

I cant help you out with prices but i made something similar in 2008. The customer wanted a T.V stand 1.2 meters long by about 0.4 Meters high , around 0.5 meters deep and as heavy as possible. I made it out of 3 inch Oak sourced from Thorogoods, Ardleigh in Essex.

This lead to them wanting a storage "wall" in the same style. Basically it was 3 oak shelves with solid supports in between. I managed to joint up 3 shelves 10 feet long by 27 inch in 3 inch oak. Planned them by hand with a jointer then did a double row of biscuits.

If you're going to go for 3" Oak I would recommend not trying to joint anything wider than 9" and to use kiln dried oak that is well seasoned. T.V's, set top boxes and audio equipment all knock out a surprising amount of heat that will encourage that Oak to move.

Oh and it wasn't cheap.

I pay £2300 for kiln dried oak for making windows. Usually marked as 75mm but it comes over 80 most of the time and I machine down to 79mm
0.064m3 gives about £150
I'm not one for wasting as much as 50% but you really need a good amount of excess.
Boards easily come up to 500mm wide so 18" is no problem. I purchase my stock from Flemings Build base in Aberdeen and as they are not getting any special stock, I see no problem getting these widths elsewhere.

Here is their number – 01224 258200 you could just ask them where they get it from.

£1000/m3 – now I would be interested to find out where you get it from.

Andy

These are the current prices from WL West and Son in Petworth for American White Oak FAS KD SE boards:
50mm £1362m³
63mm £1820m³
75mm £2180m³

HTH,

Steve

promhandicam":3lmitk5p said:
These are the current prices from WL West and Son in Petworth for American White Oak FAS KD SE boards:
50mm £1362m³
63mm £1820m³
75mm £2180m³

HTH,

Steve

Plus VAT or including?

Richard

wow,

finally found something cheaper in france.

45mm 950
65mm 1060
100mm 1150

best joinery quality

extra 10% for best furniture quality

euros ex vat

but i do have to buy the whole trunk (2.5m to 3.5m passage per trunk at 45mm thickness)

single board prices around 20-40% dearer depending on thickness.

jeff

promhandicam":3kj8w96h said:
Richard Findley":3kj8w96h said:
Hi,

I bought some 2 1/2" AWO not too long ago (3" would be a bit more though!). As others have said, width will most likely be a problem but edge jointing is easy and perfectly acceptable. I paid £2600 ish incl VAT per m3. You are asking for about 0.061 m3 so it would cost around £160. You generally need to allow about 50% wastage (we're now at £240) + any profit you want to make.

HTH

Richard

I guess your supplier must have big windows to see you coming :shock: I pay about £25 ft³ for American White Oak which is approx £1000 m³. You will however only get one edge and one face free of sap wood - not a problem if you are edge jointing 2 pieces but worth bearing in mind.

Steve

So dispite you're sarcy comment you pay about the same as me for Oak :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: At least I know I'm not being ripped off (or at least it's not just me if I am !! :wink: )

Richard

Yes Richard I stand corrected - West's are only about 20% cheaper for the 2.5" compared to your supplier. I don't buy the thicker sizes and so had not appreciated how much more expensive they are per m³.

Steve

we have a Timber Depot just opened in Milton Keynes and went along yesterday with the intention of buying some AWO. I picked out two sawn boards each 38mmx250x2900 and was quoted £230 inc.! Either my maths has gone wrong or that equates to £115 a ft3! Needless to say I walked away!

Latest posts

Back