Oak Kitchen Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Simon

Established Member
Reaction score
I am coming towards the end of putting together a circular kitchen/dining table in european oak and would like advice about possible finishes.

This is the first hardwood project I have made and up to now I have only used danish oil or wax polish. I like the finish of both and they are easy but I don't know enough to say if they are suitable for the relatively hard use I forsee this table getting. We are not an organised enough family to always have a coaster or table mat to hand for hot things and the odd accident with a glass of water isn't impossible.

I can cope with a finish that needs reapplying from time to time.

Help please,
Simon

At long last I am about to complete the construction of my oak kitchen/dining table. Work unfortunately got in the way.
I am tending to the idea of finishing it with tung oil because of its toughness, moisture resistance and ease of application and would welcome other people's opinions of this option.
thanks
Simon

I'd personally stick with oil, haven't used tung but if that's the spec then it sounds fine... Oils give a nice natural finish and are easier to repair than a spray finsh, and a wax will beef it up a bit too.

Spray finishes to me give a horrible dull glaze over any of the wood feature, fine for kitchen carcasses but I'd steer clear for furniture. Although they are obviously very durable it doesn't swing it for me...

I've not done much finishing though so probably best to discard everything I've just said :D

Hi Simon,

You could try something like the Chestnut Hard Wax Oil which goes on nice and easy like a normal oil but was originally designed for worktops and floors so is really hard wearing. 4 or 5 coats should give a hard wearing finish and a nice glossy finish. To give extra protection you could finish on top with the Microcrysalline Wax which gives even more hard wearing protection.

HTH

Richard

I used Sam Maloof's mixture on a kitchen table I made for my younger daughter a few years ago.
It has survived quite well despite the efforts of two young children.

I used 7 coats with a final beeswax/tung oil finish.

Mixture is 1 part PU varnish, 1 part tung or boiled linseed, 1 part white spirit.
Apply a thin coat with a brush or cloth, wipe off excess after 20 mins and leave overnight before re-coating. Do not over-apply coats as it can go tacky and take a long time to dry.
The wax is beeswax melted in the oil to form a soft cream.

tabletopdo5.jpg

Rod

i use rustins plastic coating on all joinery that will see lots of use, it enhances the timber nicely, is available in satin or gloss and is easy to apply.
Dries diamond hard and resists everything i've dropped on it!

Not for everyone but its so practical and doesnt look ugly.

Back