oak in a bathroom

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radicalwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I was just wondering what finish you would recommend for an oak top that will support a sink in a bathroom, would you just oil it, varnish, patina etc.
do you think its a good wood for the purpose?

cheers
Neil

Neil

Last year I did the exact same thing only I used maple, the finish I used was chestnut finishing oil.
I wasn't sure what to use and as I'm a great lover of finishing oil I went down that road knowing full well that if it wasn't adequate then I could sand it off and apply another finish. So far I haven't had to touch it.

Regarding the oak as being suitable, I think that its has really good grain patterns if you get the right bit, I don't see using this as being a problem.

Hope this helps.

cheers waka,

I did wonder about the open grain, but I could always wet sand with the oilwhich would fill some of the pores.

Neil

I've done a couple with danish oil and one with waterbourne lacquer, the lacquer stands up a bit better but there's not much in it.

oil oil and lacquer

Dulux Diamondglaze or similar floor lacquer would be the one to go for.

Jason

Like the first two Jason. Someone's been peeing on the deck in the second one though! :lol:

Perhaps more chance of black marks from metal contact in a damp atmosphere with the oil finish??

As I said the lacquer has performed much better than the oil. I'm actually back doing two other bathrooms in the same cottage and the bathroom in the pics looks a good as the day I put it in which was about two years ago.

I also treated the bath panelling and boxingbehind the loo in the same way. Also used it on all the oak in this bathroom/bedroom and a commercial bar top.

This is actually a 500yr old cottage with 4 1/2" thick walls so it gets its fare share of moisture what with a shower and lime rendered walls :!:

I've only used the osmo oil once and was not impressed, big raised watermark under a damp glass straight away.

Jason

I have oak in my bathroom put red oak stain with a poly coating,well three coats of poly anyway.Its been going strong now for 10 years

jasonB":31kaw4nx said:
As I said the lacquer has performed much better than the oil. I'm actually back doing two other bathrooms in the same cottage and the bathroom in the pics looks a good as the day I put it in which was about two years ago.

I also treated the bath panelling and boxingbehind the loo in the same way. Also used it on all the oak in this bathroom/bedroom and a commercial bar top.

This is actually a 500yr old cottage with 4 1/2" thick walls so it gets its fare share of moisture what with a shower and lime rendered walls :!:

I've only used the osmo oil once and was not impressed, big raised watermark under a damp glass straight away.

Jason

fair enuff :-# :)

Jason

Is that four and a half inches thick for the external walls of the 500yr old cottage, all the really old cottages in this area are built of stone and the walls are 2 or 3 feet thick, some do have internal hand made brick walls several hundred years old.

Dennis

I did my downstairs bathroom about 6 months ago with oak and no issues so far. I did have some concerns about solid wood in a potentially wet environment, but as theres no shower or bath in here I convinced myself it would be OK.

(I did post these pictures before in another thread on bathrooms, but I'm quite proud of it, so forgive the self-indulgence of reposting)

2649555433_99d25f5443.jpg

2649557799_7f94538781.jpg

2650394552_68a85d5d2f.jpg

2650391802_7c05cc2c64.jpg

2649566081_083809e7e3.jpg

I took the view that I wanted to seal out moisture and so went with a varnish. I wouldn't normally do this, preferring to use oil on oak, but it seemed wrong for a bathroom. I went for the Sadolin Quick Drying Varnish, which is a water based product with Teflon. Its a satin finish as I prefer that to a gloss.

Cheers, Ed.

dennis":3oxur541 said:
Jason

Is that four and a half inches thick for the external walls of the 500yr old cottage, all the really old cottages in this area are built of stone and the walls are 2 or 3 feet thick, some do have internal hand made brick walls several hundred years old.

Dennis

Thats right, its an oak frame with 1/2 brick infill on three of the external walls the other one and some of the internals are wattle and daub, not the easiest thing to fix to :?

They have just got listed building concent to raise the ceilings in the other two bathrooms from 6ft to 7'6" so at least they no longer have to bend down for a shower :wink: The new joists are green oak with split oak lathes then three coats of traditional lime plaster and clay based paint on that so it can all breath, managed to get some sheepswool insulation into the slopes at the same time, will post a few pics when its finished, all the cupboards are framed with 2-300yr old reclaimed oak with TG & beaded doors.

Jason

The owner of the previous firm that I worked for lived in a very old farmhouse,and some of the internal walls were hand made bricks with pebbles in them,and they split using screws and rawlplugs so I reverted to the way we always used to do raking out the joints and wooden plugging.When I first started working everything was fixed in this manner,and it is still as good a way as any in stone walls.

Dennis

Back