Oak framed building - any interest in a thread?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
I am presently building two timber framed buildings all out of oak, using traditional jointing techniques and some quite chunky wood. I am doing it on my own with my wife helping me to shift stuff around and occasionally being with me for safety when using gear I am not familiar with (eg chain mortiser). She is keeping a photo record.

Timber framing is not really what this forum is about but I am happy to start a sporadic thread if anyone is interested in seeing an amateur bodge up two oak cart sheds (think double garage plus log store). It is likely to be mainly pictures. And is likely to have a few mistakes and rectifications.

Please let me know if you are interested or contemplating similar. (Or if you live in Kent and can help me erect the frames one day!) . It will drag on over some months as I am doing it in my spare time and some things (eg roofing) I have never done before. if no 0ne is interested I wont bother as it obviously takes time.

This bank holiday weekend the first four six metre beams were prepped up. First use of chain mortiser to cut 7 inch deep slots three inches wide and 7 inches long. Quite a fearsome tool !

AJ

Yes please! Love timber framing - I find it fascinating :)

Where in Kent are you? I'm in West Sussex, but would love to come help if I can escape, for the experience

YES! Why did you even have to ask?

Sadly I'm currently rather ill and don't live anywhere near Kent otherwise I'd definitely come and help with the framing stuff.

I would also like to help, but am way too far away unfortunately, best of luck with your project though.

OK guys. I will get on it. Will take me a few days to set the thread up and gather some words as I need to download and resize the current stock of photos.

Matt - I am between Tunbridge Wells and Tunbridge. Anyone from the forum who wants to come and have a look is welcome by prior arrangement. It is much like ordinary joinery except on a much larger scale. Unlike the timber frame "kit" builds you see advertised for garages etc (which have visible oak but are largely softwood and often use hidden nailing and bolting systems) I am doing it all properly and have used quite large oak beams and posts just for aesthetic reasons. They are also all being sanded. The main issue for the work alone guy like me is the timbers are quite heavy ("quite" being an understatement) so I am using a pivot system, straps and levers to most of the shifting. I can't lift a 7 metre 7" by 7" beam (mixed metric!) on my own for example in one lift, but I can pivot it into place. There is a fair amount of trial and error.

As the others said, interested, of course.
Couple of thoughts ....
Are you making all the pieces first then raising.?
If so and if my rare weekends off tally with you then I would like to lend a hand.

Alex.

Yep would love to see some pictures.

Got a whole pile of 6"x6" oak in the shed waiting for a project so might give me some inspiration.

Have patience. It was not a teaser but I am super busy and need time to do the photo organising. Thanks for the offer of lifting help. I am pondering using four heavy duty step ladders in pairs, with planks through, as incremental lifting platforms, with a scaffold tripod as a safety device to keep most of the load supported. Right now my wife and I are using the pivot method to shift the heavy beams on and off my trestles for joint cutting. Works very well but has height limitations and I need some sort of precision lowering system for assembly as we are not strong enough to raise ground assembled bents. A crane is out of the question.

Would add some hire costs but a Genie-type lift would save a lot of aggravation.

Jake":2vqei3m9 said:
Would add some hire costs but a Genie-type lift would save a lot of aggravation.

+1

Any other way is just plain crazy. Especially if you will be lifting it up for fit, then back down to shave a bit off, then back up to re-test, then back down again. DAMHIKT.

genie1.jpg

genie-2.jpg

genie-3.jpg

Attachments

• genie1.jpg
    genie1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 623
  • genie-2.jpg
    genie-2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 623
  • genie-3.jpg
    genie-3.jpg