Oak floor refinish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

What's everybody's favourite finish for oak flooring? Diamond hard varnish or some sort of oil?

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of each?

Cheers all :)

Osmo oil. I use it on everything because it brings out the beauty of the wood , is easy to apply and if you get a severe scratch you can reapply with out sanding right back like you do with lacquer

Osmo for honeyed satin-ness and some maintenance, Bona Naturale 2 pack if you want neutral matt toughness.

Just a thought but the previous finish is lacquer - it will be sanded down but obviously I can't get right into the tiny knots and bits where the lacquer will have gone. Would that affect my options or could I use an oil finish if I wanted?

I have used Blanchon Hard Waxoil on my hall floor and am impressed. I find it dead easy to maintain and keep clean.

It great for use on furniture as well.

On oak, Osmo or Blanchon.
I think Blanchon just has the edge on very light timbers and is better for UV protection but for oak, either will look good and wear well.

Another vote for Osmo.

By the way, it's a common misconception that "flooring" varnish is especially hard, it's not. Where it sometimes differs from other varnishes is that it has added terebine diners to speed up the drying process (useful if you've painted yourself into a corner!), and/or it's formulated to reduce the slipperiness of the finished surface.

Whatever you use it'll need re-coating sooner than you'd like, and Osmo is a breeze to re-coat.

Junckers Strong would be my choice. Waterbased lacquer. Samples available free of charge to try before you buy too. Comes in matt, satin and gloss finish.

Bona mega natural just as good though. The only reason I've not used it is that it takes a tiny bit longer to fully cure compared to Junckers. Not much more mind. Samples available for this to but go straight to Bona for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think oil for speed and repair ability. I think the first attempt will be with Liberon, if it's shat then a do over with osmo will eventually happen.

Got some sub floor problems to sort this weekend then I'll start to lay the floor next week.

Thank you one and all.

Latest posts

Back