Oak Corner Cabinet - Finished Today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
I started this commission on Monday and thought you might like to see how its going.

Basically its an oak corner cabinet with fielded panelled doors - The base section is to have a flat screen TV sat on it and as can be seen in the second photo it will have a cupboard above the TV with matching panelled doors - Hope to get those made tomorrow.

The upper back of the top section has birch faced plywood panels instead of solid oak. The customer has asked for this to be finished to match their existing oak furniture which is medium oak so will be getting the stain out! (I hate staining!)

Anyway - there is still alot to do but the worst is done - The gap in the back by the way is to allow cables to drop into the lower unit where the Sky box/DVD player will be housed. Before I hear you shout the remote wont work the customers asked for it like this with solid doors to stop their small grand-children from playing the sky/dvd boxes.

I have also left the rear of the base unit open on the sides to allow sufficient airflow as well, the plynth when against the skirting will leave a 20mm gap up either side which should be sufficient.

I will post more photos as the job progresses.

DSCF2025.jpg

DSCF2046.jpg

DSCF2059.jpg

Looking nice. Are those fielded panels doors, or is the base just a high plinth on which to mount the top?

Rog

Very nice, cant understand why the customer wants solid doors when glass doors would allow the use of the remotes, still the customers always right as they say.

Stew

Well to try and answer your questions.

The base section has a pair of doors with fielded panels (not just a large plynth) and the fieldings were cut on my spindle moulder.

The customers were adamant that they didn't want glass in either the top or the bottom cabinets as going in an old cottage and they felt that glass would make the unit look too modern. No comments please about then standing a modern lcd tv on it!

Regarding the height, the base unit is 500mm tall - standard height for a tv cabinet - The overall height of the cabinet is 1800mm tall. The LCD tv will slide into the space between the upper and lower cupboards leaving about 30mm gap around it.

I have today got the upper doors made and cut into the carcase and the shelves made up.

Won't get anything done tomorrow though as having a day off with my wife (Picking up new caravan) and spending 3 at the beginning of next week giving machinery tuition so may not update for a few days.

DSCF2117.jpg

Rog

Oh and the small hole in the back is for the cables to go through - I didnt run out of Oak!

Ok got the polishing finished today - ready for delivery early next week - can't drop off tomorrow as at the Alli-Pally 8) .

DSCF2149.jpg

DSCF2156.jpg

DSCF2158.jpg

Rog

That's turned out really nicely. Shame to put a 42" plasma on such a traditional piece. Your customer should be well pleased.

Looks great, I hope you get paid a lot for this one as if you tried to buy anything like this in oak it would cost hundreds if not more.
A great piece that looked great but when you polished it it looks fantastic.
I hope you get a lot more commision jobs after making a piece like that.
Thanks and all the best.
Tim

Pvt_Ryan":1aeyfawa said:
Brilliant Job Rog. What did you use for the finish?

Having left for a couple of weeks for the oak to colour then sprayed with three coats of semi matt pre-cat - before final rub down with webrax and overwax with Mylands Light Brown Wax.

Got Sarah to help me with the rubbing down and waxing.

Rog

Back