Oak cabinet with a dent

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave261266

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I have just got an oak cabinet and I have noticed that there is a slight dent in the top. I seem o recall something about damp cloths and irons to raise dents but I am concerned about this being oak and it being a bit temperamental. Can anyone clarify, is there any way to coax the dent out ?

Cheers

Dave

the gist is a damp cloth and an iron on a low heat gently applied to make the wood fibres swell and thus draw out the dent - i cant see any reason why this wouldnt work on oak.

joiner_sim":35ti66mv said:
Should work fine.

Unless the dent has very sharp edges, meaning that fibres have been broken. It will then work to some extent but will be much less effective.

Jim

yetloh":3rpdcvae said:
joiner_sim":3rpdcvae said:
Should work fine.

Unless the dent has very sharp edges, meaning that fibres have been broken. It will then work to some extent but will be much less effective.

Jim

true - in that case you would have to either fill it or fish in a bit of matching timber - or just live with it depending on how obvious it is

I was just reading about this tonight, in an old copy o GWW

Ben Plewes suggests using tin foil ? as it creates steam to swell the fibres better ?

I'll be trying it on my current oak table project, dropped my hammer on it :oops:

Cheers

Jed

I put a drop of water in the dent, cover with auminium kitchen foil folded over a few times to prevent it tearing, then apply heat with a soldering iron.
This localises the heating to where it is needed. Works very well on oak.

It will work but not if you have say a laqured finish that would stop water penetrating.

Back