Oak Cabinet/Dresser (Almost a WIP)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Findley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently made and installed this American White Oak Cabinet/Dresser unit into a client's house. The client designed it and it's main purpose is to hide an elecriticity meter in the corner of the room.

Made from a combination of 1", 1 1/2" and 2" boards of AWO, totalling a little over £300, all finished in 4 coats of Finishing Oil and a coat of Mellow Brown Wax.

I say almost a WIP as I started it with all good intentions but realised time was really against me so you have the very beginnings of the job and the end result :oops: :oops:

Enjoy:

PC050005.JPG

The timber as delivered

PC050006.JPG

After settling for a couple of weeks I cut the boards into roughly the sizes I needed and allowed a bit more settling time

PC120021.JPG

The boards were planned up on the P/T and glued up to make the necessary panels. That's where my making photos finish and this is the end result:

P1090030.JPG

In the next picture you can see my client designed the end panels to have a criss cross pattern in them in an Arts and Crafts style. I must admit to being a bit dubious about how it would look but I was pleasantly surprised by it:

P1090033.JPG

There are no handles yet as my client is unsure what he wants but I will be fitting those once he has chosen them.

Hope you enjoyed looking at this project. Please feel free to comment and ask questions.

Cheers,

Richard

Despite the lack of WIP photos :wink:, it looks like an excellent job. That mellow brown wax has done an lovely job of darkening the oak.

It's difficult to see what you're trying to describe with the end panels - do you have any more photos of this?

Very nice Richard. Being tall and slim in form makes the piece look very elegant in my view.

Ed

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replys.

Olly, even my finest WIP would be nothing compared to one of yours. You are, after all, the WIP King!! :wink:

Managed to get this shot off of my phone which shows the end panel detail better:

Image037.jpg

Cheers,

Richard

LOL, thanks Richard. :wink:

Now that I've seen it, I'd say it's both interesting and odd at the same time! :D

Have you ever worked with brown oak?

Hi Olly,

Funny you should ask as the shelves have some dark staining on them which looks like the edges of it being brown oak (if that makes sense?) I have worked on some English Oak that has been affected by the fungus and it looked stunning. IIRC it was a bit easier to work as well :-k :-k

Richard

You could be right, Richard. The staining doesn't always penetrate the full surface. Even brown oak can have lighter 'streaks' where the staining hasn't reached (not to be confused with sapwood!). It is indeed beautiful stuff. I think you're right as well, in that it is slightly easier to work than regular oak (not that oak offers as much of a challenge as, say, beech! :D).

This year, I'm hoping to make a piece that demonstrates the contrast between oak and brown oak... :wink:

Back