Oak Bowl Finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterBassett

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all...

Since being told that finishing by Ash bowl in Danish Oil will cause it to go "Pee Yellow" I thought it best to get a little advice before finishing my next bowl.

I'm doing a two part bowl in oak. I've sanded the foot to 400 grit and its nice and smooth.

What finish do you recommend? I'd like to make the grain really pop. I like the finish on my ash bowl, except for the possibility of it going yellow.

Thanks

Pete

I recommend a Shellac Sanding Sealer followed by Chestnut WoodWax 22

That's about the easiest. You could use Rustin's plastic Coating but that's a bit too glossy for my taste. Also any water based finish would work. Such as Melamine, but I've not had good results and I think there is an art to applying it.

Wax is my favourite finish on oak as well - always seems to give it a nice "warmth".
As Tom said,melamine gives a nice finish,but is difficult to apply on large areas without it drying and dragging whilst still applying it.
Ohter possibilities would be finishing oil,or Chestnuts aerosol lacquer is also good (the aerosol is easier on larger items)

Andrew

on normal oak i like to wet sand the last few grits using lemon oil as a lubricant( this acts as a grain filler and gives a very smooth surface- this technique can not be used on burr oak or any two tone wood) then a day or so later apply organoil hard burnishing oil or chestnuts finishing oil.

I just realised you were talking about an Oak Bowl, not another Ash.

I'd just use a sanding sealer (any type and brand) with a paste wax like WoodWax 22 or Briwax. Buff the wax off with a soft piece of kitchen paper or bog roll with the lathe running at a moderate speed.

Finishing is all about experimentation. Don't confuse things with Lacquer just yet. If you're going to use it for food then sunflower oil would suffice.

Latest posts

Back