NVR with power take-off

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I understand the question I don't see why not. The Vac will switch on once you turn on the router using the NVR switch as it senses the flow of current to throw the switch (I think).

Mick

Before you try it (if it isn't too late), I'd advise you to take a look at the maximum loading that your vacuum will take - I knackered the auto-switch on a Record Power RSDE2-A extractor once by over-loading it with a big, ½in router! The vacuum still worked; I just had to replace something (about £45) to get the auto take-off to work again.

Even if the switch is rated high enough for your router, you may still blow the 13amp fuse in the plug with the combined peak load of router and vac starting at the same time.

Bob

Thanks for the feedback . . .the router is 1400 w and the vac' 1200 w ,so combined 2600, as long as it would just be the fuse in the plug that would blow I would take the chance. would be nice to hear from anyone who uses A similar set up,I don't want to damage my vacuum. Thanks Phil.

You need to find the spec on the switch inside the vac to make sure it can handle the router. Even then the startup surge may take out the fuse or you might get away with it.

If you don't publish the type numbers of your vac and router, how the **** can anyone say if they have the same set up?????

Bob

I meant the same set up as in NVR switch,router, power take off. The power take off on the vac' can take up to 2000w so it wont have any problem with A 1400w router.I simply wanted to know if there is any reason why I shouldn't use A NVR switch to turn the router on which would then turn the vac' on.

A 13A plug is generally regarded as being able to handle up to about 3kW, but that's a continuous load, typically that of something like an electric fire.

However, as Bob says. the starting load could well blow the fuse.

I got a cheap set of radio-controlled switches from Maplins (whom I hesitate to recommend these days, because of the prices!). I just carry the controller in a pocket and use it for the vacuum.

It means separate fuses, and that the load is well within the rating of the relay in the remote-operated switch. Yes, it is _slightly_ less convenient than automatic turn on/off, but there are no electrical issues and I'm not expecting any (after about two years of use).

One of my round-tuit-powered projects is to take one of the spare receivers (the kit came with four) and to build it into the chip extractor, instead of the NVR switch. Happily, that's also within spec for the built-in relay (of the RF switch), but even if it wasn't, it's OK to cascade mains relays to get the required current switching ability, as long as you suppress the spark properly.

The only drawback is that Maplins don't sell spare controllers (the radio transmitter with the buttons on it). It's the most vulnerable part, and the hardest to repair if damaged. I guess they know this!

Regards,

E.

I got that set from maplins and found it wouldn't handle much power. I took it back and got a set from Toolstation which can take 3kw.

After having another look at the the NVR switch I have noticed that it can only accept up to 2000w, so with A 1400w router and A 1200w vac' there would be 600w too much. I assume that I would need A switch that would accept at least 2600w,is this right? I hadn't considered using A remote control switch,much cheaper than forking out £40-£50 for A new NVR switch! I have limited space available and I wanted to station the vac' out of the way behind the router table but don't want to have to pull the table out every time I want to switch the vac' on or off. . . .think I'll go for a remote switch. Thanks .Phil.

Come on Phil, get those neurons firing in sync :lol:
The Vac is not powered from the NVR. It is the otherway round. :shock:

Bob

'Sorry Bob your right .! I'm not too sharp when it comes to electrics ,I just know that there's some kind of dark magic going on under all that brightly coloured plastic !

Back