Novice questions re basic use.of Myford ML8

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GORDONZZR

Reaction score
Hi everyone total novice here just purchased a Myford ML8 and need some basic advice do I have to release the motor to adjust speed every time and which pullies are used for different speeds I note there are four pullies on the motor and four at the top end apart from running the motor to check it works smoothly I have yet to put lathe in situ ready for use. it is currently set up with belt on one of the middle bottom pullies and attached to the far right largest pullie should it not be in a straight line eg same size pullie.? and where would I buy a replacement belt.
Also It came with a three jaw Berned chuck is this suitable for bowl turning have only seen it used for metal turning on any videos I have watched.. I guess these questions have been asked elsewhere on this forum but being new have not got myself round it yet many thanks in anticipation of your help.

No, your chuck is not suitable. Yes, you need to lift the motor to change speed - it's not difficult as you just loosen the wingnut and lift. The belt should be in line on the pulleys. Unless you are prepared to remove the spindle you will need a link belt or one that glues together - if I had the mechanical certainty I would be tempted to go down that route, as the belt noise of a link belt is awful. A standard V belt then should fit - a lot cheaper, too. Don't forget to oil it - any light oil will do, really although 32 is the grade iirc. It's a total loss system, so the oil will run out around the spindle if you use too much. Try http://lathes.co.uk/ for info and maybe sources. If you buy a chuck, it's worth thinking about something like a versachuck that takes an ISO type backplate so that if you fall in love with the hobby you can keep the chuck and just change the backplate. ML8s are a great little lathe but you will realise its limitations quite quickly.

phil.p many thanks for your reply will check out .
yes beginning to some limitations already, re; speed I know I will soon find out but is the faster speed the one with the smallest pulley at the top end and do you know of a mortice grab chuck that would fit the Myford for bowl turning. I have a screw back plate type,but would prefer not to have a hole in the bottom. maybe getting ahead of my self here as will be practising :D on lots of cheap wood to start just keen to move on.

Back