Nova and Super Nova chuck. The difference.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swb58

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I bought my lathe secondhand a good few years ago, it came with a chuck and I've never known exactly which it is. The paper work which came in the box of jaws refers to both chucks, is there a way of telling the difference visually? Is there much point in worrying which type I have or shall i just carry on regardless

Thanks.

Well I have a "super nova" chuck and it is etched with its name all round the face of it, I also have the smaller "nova scrol"l chuck and that is etched on the face as well both made in New Zealand by teknatool.
Both are older early models so if yours has no markings I suspect it is not a nova chuck but that it does accept nova jaws.

I thought I had found it before but after looking at the link ^^^ I could see it wasn't quite right. Then at last I found one, on this very board from nearly four years ago. It's an original Super Nova like this one.

IMG_0151.jpg

Cheers.

They are a good chuck one thing you have to clean them out every so often i do it one a year

Spindle":3cwv33nz said:
I have two of them, good chucks but you have to remember the key does not operate in the correct sense - you turn anti-clockwise to tighten :?

Regards Mick

That the bit that annoys me about them

I have two of them, good chucks but you have to remember the key does not operate in the correct sense - you turn anti-clockwise to tighten :?

I thought it was me being stupid, always seem to turn it the wrong way :?

swb58":ite35t3l said:

I thought it was me being stupid, always seem to turn it the wrong way :?
i still turn my backwards and i have had it 4 years

Latest posts

Back