Not Very Fast Dovetails......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kalimna":3jtlys9o said:
Greetings again folks.
The tool thing is an interesting one, as some folk (no one in particular, and this applies to other interests of mine, namely photography and guitars) seem to think that only the most expereinced/skilled should have the best tools for the job, and if you come up as a beginner with a shiny (expensive) piece of equipment and don't know what you are doing, then it's a bit of a waste/show-off. Im glad that opinion doesnt appear to be prevalent here, however. Phew!

Cheers,
Adam

Well Adam,
From the guitar point of view, I wish I could have afforded a Gibson when I started. It would definitely have been easier to learn, compared to the guitar I had. On that the action was so high, you could have driven a 'bus under the strings!

John :)

Benchwayze":3gwtvr9z said:
Kalimna":3gwtvr9z said:
Greetings again folks.
The tool thing is an interesting one, as some folk (no one in particular, and this applies to other interests of mine, namely photography and guitars) seem to think that only the most expereinced/skilled should have the best tools for the job, and if you come up as a beginner with a shiny (expensive) piece of equipment and don't know what you are doing, then it's a bit of a waste/show-off. Im glad that opinion doesnt appear to be prevalent here, however. Phew!

Cheers,
Adam

Well Adam,
From the guitar point of view, I wish I could have afforded a Gibson when I started. It would definitely have been easier to learn, compared to the guitar I had. On that the action was so high, you could have driven a 'bus under the strings!

John :)

One more thing with tools (equipment) or undoubted quality.

If the result isn't great you KNOW it's YOUR fault!

BugBear

Kalimna":2lbjpus2 said:
We decided that, as she was getting a ring or two out of the deal, it would be nice for me to have something to mark the engagement - and I decided on a few nice tools. So the saws, DT chisels and a bench chisel set in birdseye maple from Blue Spruce were my engagement 'gift'.

This is a nice idea but not a new one. I have just inherited from my father his No 7 which was a wedding gift from my mother in 1946.

Kalimna":1uwrgjzi said:
I took his advice, being the maker of the saw, and there would appear to be not the slightest hint of a bow, and no need to 'carefully bow it back'.

Hi Adam,

I think that is quite cool!

When I buy an expensive tool, I allways tell me: You can sell it later if you don't like it or need the money. So I never stamp a tool.

I really like the idea of different woods for the different chisels.

Cheers Pedder

Modernist":i71ri40e said:
Kalimna":i71ri40e said:
We decided that, as she was getting a ring or two out of the deal, it would be nice for me to have something to mark the engagement - and I decided on a few nice tools. So the saws, DT chisels and a bench chisel set in birdseye maple from Blue Spruce were my engagement 'gift'.

This is a nice idea but not a new one. I have just inherited from my father his No 7 which was a wedding gift from my mother in 1946.

I got pipper all IIRC. Still, I've not exactly ever consulted my wife on anything I've bought in the past 5yrs, so I guess we're even ;)

matthewwh":973xk1lo said:
It's also nice to see someone investing in good tools at the outset, learning to use them well and adding to them as required. This approach has been recommended for generations in all cultures.

That is an interesting comment. I was reading Toshio Odate the other day where he describes that the Japanese apprentices are not allowed to use tools from master craftsmen until they become craftsmen themselves, as they can not honour the tool. He descibes that he had a plane taken off of him because his master considered it too good for him.

bugbear":3kr34wg1 said:
One more thing with tools (equipment) or undoubted quality.

If the result isn't great you KNOW it's YOUR fault!

BugBear
I suppose you could say that. The results aren't so good these day BB. I got arthritis in my left hand. Being right handed, that isn't good for guitar. But I guess it's my fault for doing all that practice and wearing out the joint! So the surgeon said! But it sure was fun along the way! Just like woodwork. After all it could be worse. I do use power tools remember! :D

Cheers
John :wink:

Back