Not sure who to blame.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

santiniuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok the kids were outside playing so I cannot blame them. :?

But the radio was on and I was listening to the football while practising turning a 'platter' out of some ash. So.... I'm blaming the football! :oops:

I think the pictures show my problem.... Whats the saying.... Measure twice cut once?

I'm hoping that I have actually managed to recover this item and it can still be used.

I basically went too deep when hollowing and just broke into the recess area that was mounted to the chuck.

Scratching my head I thought I'd make a flat plug that would fit into the base and with a good helping of glue I think it should survive.

Its now glued up and clamped in the garage.

Another lesson learnt.... Don't listen to football when turning ! :cry:

All good practise in the end. I was really pleased how well the plug fitted. It was a perfect press fit :)

Cheers

Shaun

DSC00128800x600.jpg

DSC00129800x600.jpg

DSC00131800x600.jpg

DSC00134800x600.jpg

Nicely rescued :lol: I have done this a few time....as I suspect have most of us

In future use some sort of depth gauge. I usually drill a hole first with the bowl gouge and then turn out to that depth. You can buy gauges or make your own, there are dozens of designs on the net if you google for them.

Make feature of it if you do it again, use a different colour wood or put some rings in it.

Pete

oldsoke":hm2sjiob said:
Well recovered!

(glad to see Pete making an expert contribution :p )

oooo you ain't have got a snidy side to you Graham....if I wasn't half way through my 2nd bottle of plonk I'd retaliate with some comment about toothless lions or something :lol:

Pete

Nice to see you're awake Pete... me? I'm part way through a bottle of cognac (the good stuff) :lol: (1.5 ltr @ £18... pause whilst i refresh the glass.......

This is getting like 'Old Fogies Night' You on the cognac, (cheap stuff mind you) me on the 1/2 price decent stuff and has on hs Coco...... I presume your SWMBO is in bed like mine.

Pete

Yup! Satnex2 is in bed, peace in our time :lol:

Cheap!!!! you'd pay an awful lot more over here... if you're passing this way you can have 10ltrs of cab sav (£14 or thereabouts :shock: ...and drinkable (after the second or third glass :p )

oldsoke":3ipv0qcz said:
Cheap!!!! you'd pay an awful lot more over here... if you're passing this way you can have 10ltrs of cab sav (£14 or thereabouts :shock: ...and drinkable (after the second or third glass :p )

What was that adress again?

Pet

Santiniuk.... sorry for hi-jacking your thread :oops:

as always, it seemed a good idea at the time....

think most of us have done similar at some time or another, know i have.
would have plugged with a contrasting timber tho. :)

Now, if you had turned that thickness all over you could have had a gorgeous lamp shade.

Pete's already come up with the answer, drill a hole. That way you don't even have to stop to measure. Then once you gain some experience and can do it without the hole, you get so confident and full of it you end up going through the bottom again. :lol:

Keep turnin'

Shaun.
I would just say that it's all to easy to get distracted and dangerous when using machinery of any kind,you always learn the hard way.When i'm in the workshop i let all know and tell them not to come barging in when machines are running just wait till the machines are off.
I also have the radio on int he ws but have it at a level that i can't hear it when i'm on the lathe.If i hear something i want to listen to i switch the machine off.
Just be careful.
Paul.J.

Nicely recovered,Shaun - finished piece looks good.
And yes,I think we've all done it at some time;I've done it a couple of times when attempting hollow-forms,but managed to wreck them beyond repair (All on my own,haven't even had a radio to blame.. :lol: )

Andrew

:)

Had a good old chuckle at your post's there Pete/Graham. Looks like you were having fun last night ;)

Anyway again thanks for the feedback, I agree a contrasting wood may have been a better idea. The depth guage is something I had planned to make but never got round to yet.

I always lock the doors in the garage when I'm working, once got startled by the wife as she burst through the doors so they all know how to signal me now.

I'm finding the new height so much better to work on. Must get a mat also.

Cheers

Back