Not having a mid-life crisis......Honest!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billiards

Reaction score
As there doesn't appear to be a section for introductions, I will just post a bit about myself here, as Woodturning is the genre I am interested in.

I am 47 years old, married, no children. I have recently started a list of "Things to do before I reach 50". One of those 'Things' is woodturning. I did an apprenticeship with GEC mechanical handling as a Centre Lathe Turner/ Capstan setter. After many years in other industries, I have now gone complete circle, and am currently operating CNC machining centres.

Although I have always wanted to "have a go" at woodturning, I have never gotten around to it. However, one of my other passions unearthed the long forgotten want, which is now in full swing. I am a hobbyist magician, and whilst searching for a 'Wand', I discovered some staggering creations, with an even more staggering price-tag! Of course, like all good engineers, I thought, why not make my own. And there and then, a new hobby-want was born.

So here I am, itching to get started, money burning a hole in my pocket, time on my hands, a car-less garage, an understanding wife and a thirst for knowledge.......what else do I need?

This is where you guys come in. I have researched as much as I could, I have discovered this forum, read through an introduction to woodturning, set aside sufficient funding (I hope!) and am now looking to interact with 'Live' people, who can suggest, recommend and encourage.

As a matter of interest, I am also a Moderator on a phbb2 forum called Magic Bunny. Some of my fellow moderators are a bit down on new members whose first post may be "How do I learn the trick where David Blaine floats on air". They usually get a short answer - "Use the search function". But I do have sympathy with them, especially since now I am here, I wouldn't know what to search for. :(

I have noiticed there are some places where you can have tuition, I would definetly be up for that, but does anyone know if there is anywhere near Wiltshire, as the places I found were quite a distance away.

I hope to gain knowledge and encouragement from this forum, and hopefully, be able to somehow give something back in return.

Thankyou for the chance to join, and I hope to get to know some of you.

........Many questions sure to follow. :D

welcome to the nut house, I can't offer much help in this area but there are planty others who can and no doubt will bambozzle you with all sorts of advice ;)

HS heading back to the flat lands :)

Welcome billiards.

There is only one way to learn about woodturning, Join a club, you'll find plenty of help, suggestions, and probably even some one happy to give you some tuition.

Try this link for some clubs that may be in/close to your area.

http://www.woodturners.co.uk/branches.htm

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum :D

Keith Rowleys book is often regarded as being the best place to learn the basics before jumping in at the deep end.

As for lathes,chucks,tools etc. - well,give us a budget and I'm quite sure we can happily spend it for you :wink:

Andrew

Hi Billiards, welcome, where abouts in Wiltshire, we have members in the Salisbury area and several of us not far from the wilts border in Glos.

A visit to one of us might help in the what and what is is not essential for what you need to do, an understanding SWIMBO is a great start but the money burning a hole in the pocket is a worry without some restrictions.
All that glitters is not gold as in any other hobby and many of us get by with quite simple setups.

Welcome to the forum, billiards.

'Fraid I disagree with Tam; there isn't only one way to learn anything. As you've probably already found out, "Woodturning, a foundation course" by Keith Rowley is a must-have in many folks' opinion, including mine. Also a search for "beginner" or "starter" confined to the woodturning section should produce a few threads of interest to keep you occupied before the big guns arrive. If after all that you sensibly have a re-think, can I introduce you to the wunnerful world of Hand Tools and their Associated Slope instead...? No, don't run away... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Beaten to the Rowley punch by other, swifter, posters. #-o

Welcome, you have come to the right place as a beginner. This forum has a complete crossection from professional experts to those of us who make more mistakes than bowls. Don't know if anyone here has ever made a magic wand however. Ask your questions and you will get all the answers that you will ever need.

Let us know what you are hoping to do and your budget and I am sure that you will be advised what to get.

Pete

try this link for some clubs that may be in/close to your area.

http://www.woodturners.co.uk/branches.htm

Thanks TEP, seems there is a club in Bristol that might suit.

Keith Rowleys book is often regarded as being the best place to learn the basics before jumping in at the deep end.

Thanks PowerTool, I will soon have my hands on one.

Hi Billiards, welcome, where abouts in Wiltshire, we have members in the Salisbury area and several of us not far from the wilts border in Glos.

Hi CHJ, I live in Melksham. Have BMW, will travel!

'Fraid I disagree with Tam; there isn't only one way to learn anything. As you've probably already found out, "Woodturning, a foundation course" by Keith Rowley is a must-have in many folks' opinion, including mine. Also a search for "beginner" or "starter" confined to the woodturning section should produce a few threads of interest to keep you occupied before the big guns arrive. If after all that you sensibly have a re-think, can I introduce you to the wunnerful world of Hand Tools and their Associated Slope instead...? No, don't run away... :wink:

Hi Alf, thanks for the Tips. Hand tools and their associated slope.........Is this one of those Tumbleweed moments?

Let us know what you are hoping to do and your budget and I am sure that you will be advised what to get.

Hi Bodrighy, my initial project would be 'Wands'. I have seen pen blanks that look the business, and could make the Brass tips and joints (2 piece) at work. I also fancy trying to make a Billiard cue, another one of my many interests. Mind you, having looked at some of the images of the bowls and other stuff made by you guys, well thats just whet my appetite. :p

Lastly, thanks to all the others not mentioned, that have welcomed me.:D

billiards":198tr4be said:
Hi CHJ, I live in Melksham. Have BMW, will travel!

For starters Billiards don't fret about the report to mods stuff, it's just the spamulator noting a new posting, it will sort itself soon.

Melksham not a million miles from me (near Ciren) so will give you a mail when I am back in UK in a couple of weeks time.

Billiards cues are a bit of a black art and on the upper end of the turning skills/material/machine specs etc. perhaps if you can perfect your wands then you can magic a few up. :lol:

Your dead right Alf, I stand corrected.

I am self taught and used K Rowley's first book as did many others. BUT I did make a lot of mistakes, and not just turning. I wasted a lot of money on not really knowing what to buy, with the quality of machinery and tools and so on. I changed almost my complete workshop in less than 20 months once I found out what rubbish I had purchased and its limitations.

Yes you can learn in different ways, but IMHO I still say it is generally a lot easier if a total beginner can be taken in hand and shown by some experienced turners for the first few times on a lathe. Also in my experience most clubs are a mine of information, and the majority of members actually enjoy showing newcomers the way forward.

Of course if you have a friendly neighbourhood turner that is as good, and now we have this, and other forums which were not around when I began. :cry:

a big hi billiards! i think most has been said already, keith rowly's book etc, one thing i would advise b4 u go on a spending spree is to try and carefully work out what it is you would like to turn, not just for the now but for the future as well as you dont want a lathe that limits you, but by the same token you dont really need a massive great thing taking up half the garage that cost the earth either!. also the one thing i would say is to not buy your hand tools as a "box set" either, buy one at a time and buy quality, min requirement is hss steel most common tools to use would be a skew, roughing gouge, bowl gouge, parting tool. but all this will become clearer after you rtead keith's book!
good luck and welcome! =D>

Back