Not having a lot of luck with my Record CL4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammo

Established Member
Reaction score
There is a previous post - where I have replaced all the bearings / shaft et all...

Then today - what happens.....

The main motor shaft has sheared right off.... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Not even running at a particular high speed... the last time I moved from low to high - I made sure that the belt was tight enough - but not overly so.
Looking at the shaft there is some signs of rust and general pitting, having looked at the paper work it appears that the original owner bought this as a CL3 in 2000, then at some point upgraded to the CL4 variable motor.

From what I can see the shaft is part of the inner motor assembly, so doesn't look as though it can be simply swapped for a replacement.

So what next - sell on ebay as 'spares' only - and buy something new, but what - or call Record Power for advice and a quote for a new motor, not expecting that to be cheap.

And to make it worse - I was in the middle of having a go at a lamp for my first ever entry in the monthly competition.

Fed up and pineappled off :(

Motors are generally universal so I would get a price from Record and also get a price for a generic off the shelf motor with the same spec.

I would first go to a motor shop and see if the rotor can be pressed off the remaining shaft and bearings.

Then I would find a machinist to make a new shaft and rebuild the rotor and bearings.

BUT I would also try to find a spare motor and ask Record for an estimate.

Al

Look for Goldcrest Technology on ebay for replacement motors and ask for advice also, very friendly and helpful and good quality, reliable replacement motors are not hugely expensive.

Hope you get something sorted out.

Cheers, Paul

Hi all - thanks for all the advice. Let's hope that Record Power can sort me out (for not too much money) otherwise it's eBay and the minefield that is electrical and mechanical - working with wood gives me enough problems - so not keen to go digging into the black art of steel, wires and motors...

Ps - love the way the auto moderator changed my original post from what was a moderate swear word to something so much more random - the intent is still there though I am thoroughly fed up with this lathe at the moment, :( I think it's the victim of sitting idle for ages before I bought it - :roll: now it's being used nearly every weekend and some evenings in between it's complaining - hopefully this will be my last call to Record Power - as helpful as they have been previously I would rather it worked.

Chris

Just to make the point there are two sides to every story......I have a CL4 and its bullet proof. I also have a number of other either startrite or RP machine tools and their service has been superb to me over the years. Never once let me down.

Hi

For what its worth - I let the weight of the motor set the belt tension on my CL4 and then nip up the securing nut, never had the belt slip yet. Sorry you're having problems with your CL4 but try and stick with it - its a great lathe, I've had mine since about 2002 and love it.

Regards Mick

RP are Good on after sales And They Got A Superb Engineer That travels and does Some At home fixes Ask For Peter At Record he Is The Main man
Regards
Bill

RP have been very helpful; after quoting me the cost of a new motor - some £500+++ they waited patiently while i recovered; mind you I expected as much;
They then told me what to search for to find a repairer - so I did and there is someone local in Croydon who think that they could do something - the length of the shaft is the issue!

Let's wait and see.

Based on my upgraded motor for my bandsaw a while ago, 3hp from Goldcrest Technology on ebay, I would guess you would be looking at £100 to £150 from a 3rd party supplier of decent quality replacement motors, certainly no where near £500 !!!

Cheers, Paul

sammo":aef0r4nc said:
......Looking at the shaft there is some signs of rust and general pitting, having looked at the paper work it appears that the original owner bought this as a CL3 in 2000, then at some point upgraded to the CL4 variable motor.

Can you upload an image of the 'broken' shaft, could it be possible for someone to provide you with a repair?

I find it unbelievable that a motor drive shaft should fail on you, you say that the machine has been upgraded with a Record CL4 upgrade, for a motor to mechanically fail in that way smacks of poor quality or faulty materials or manufacture.
I would be very miffed at that sort of failure, assuming someone has not drilled through the shaft for a fixing and formed a weak point in the cross section of the shaft.
Have you challenged record on that aspect of the problem.

Hi all, firstly just for the record, I have no problems at all with Record Power, I have found their after sales service to be great. =D> =D>

I bought the lathe 2nd hand the original owner bought it as a CL3 in 2000 then at some point upgraded to the CL-4 variable motor; but I don't know when. :?

RP were quoting for a total replacement unit as they don't have parts for it - which is what you see on their web site.

I have dropped it off at a local Electrical repairs, they are going to have a look at it - from what they can see they think there was a small crack in the shaft - but there isn't an easy replacement as the shaft length is not standard - that said if they cannot find a readily available replacement, the engineer has high hopes that he can do an effective repair - from what I understand drill out both bits and put in a metal dowel - I am very very sure I am massively oversimplifying the process. (homer)

Oh and by the way - I also let the weight of the motor set the tension of the belt with no squeal or slipping, and I have spoken to many CL4 owners who love their machine, and I have to say as a beginner I don't see any reason to replace it - I just don't want to spend too much on it...

Mind you the misses has said that if it were her camera she wouldn't do without - so if I cannot get it sorted soon I should treat myself to something new - in which case hmmmmmmmm.... (ps by new I mean new to me, there is so much 2nd hand great quality gear out there why buy new is my moto.......) -- mind you I suspect she has an ulterior motive as she has hinted she would like a camera upgrade :shock:

So if you had around a £1000 what would you get ----- or is this a whole new thread?

Thanks all

Chris

Hi
I purchased the CL4 from a member on this site - ( #p683840 ) - it also came with a Cruzon grinder and Tormek 1200 with Jigs galore; plus chiesls, chucks, jaws and lots of other stuff, that I am just finding out how to use / what to use them for.

I am in no hurry to replace the CL4, so long as I can get it effectively repaired - but if it's going to cost then perhaps I may consider looking for an alternative.

I think the person I bought it from had not used it for sometime so the main bronze bearing had got very dry - and every time I added oil it would spit it all out - turned out that the main shaft was pitted and therefore no longer effective. So replace it all - front and rear bearings plus the shaft - Record Power were very helpful lots of advice and hints - and since then it has run like a dream - up until last night when suddenly the turning wood stopped but the motor was running!!!

As said above - I would rather scour the internet for a decent 2nd hand than buy new - sort of fits my minor attempts to save the planet :) That said the Axminster range looks remarkable good value; but I am hoping that the motor can be repaired - lets wait and see.

chris

Back