Not another table saw advice thread!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasq

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been lurking around the forums for some time now on the assumption that hanging around experienced people may somehow rub off, so thought its about time i said hello.

My name is Steve, living near Watford, 35. Have had an interest in woodworking for a few years now. Started with general DIY round the house, i've made a few items over the years in pine such as small tables, set of bedroom draws etc. Next project i hope to move into hardwoods with oak corner display cabinet.

I have a strange collection of tools aquired over the years including a 30 year old Elu lathe and an even older makita router which looks like it could power a small airplane. More recently a Sip compound Mitre saw and scroll saw and a few b&q specials. I hang my head in shame now.

Anyways onto the questions. Appologies if these have already been answered, do a search for Kity 419 here and you get over 100 pages!

I would like to set fire the noisy banshee that b&q laughingly refer to as a table saw before it sets fire to itself and destroys any more wood. Ideally the SIP 10" everyone is raving about, but more probably the Kity 419.

The SIP says it needs a 16Amp supply, can anyone tell me how this is hooked up? Also how much power does it really need? The shed is 150 foot from the CU on 8mm armour cable so i'm maxed out around 20amps including extraction, lighting and radio. Its going to be pushing it.

Also can anyone tell me if there are any real differences between the new (probably) chinese made Kity 419s and the older French made originals? Is it better to get say the axminster 200 over the new generation of Kity?

Thanks in advance

Not sure what you mean when you say the shed supply is 8mm: is this 8mm2 conductors? If this is the case, you don't need to worry about cable rating or volt drop. If you're actually using the more ubiquitous 2.5mm2 cable, the voltage drop @16A will be around 10v, which is still workable.

You should fit a 20A type 3 (motor start) mcb in the consumer unit. In the shed you'll need a CEE17 3-pole 16A mains socket* for the saw, plus a few 13A sockets for your other stuff. The whole lot should ideally be fed from an rcd.

* Eg E-bay item 150403956230

If you mean this SIP 10" saw 01332 then I have that and it came with a 13amp plug and runs fine. It does blow the fuse every once in a while but they are cheap.

sasq":3ja4d336 said:
Also can anyone tell me if there are any real differences between the new (probably) chinese made Kity 419s and the older French made originals?

I can answer that, after my quest for a new arbor spanner for my old (French-made) 419 took me into the innards of both machines.

They're completely different inside. The motors look to have similar ratings, and they both mount a 200mm blade, but that's about it.

The old 419 is pretty similar to the newer, Chinese-made Axminster TS200, only built like a brick out-house, with a cast-iron table top (unlike the alloy Axminster). Mine's well over a decade old, and runs just fine. Not as quiet as a new 419, though.

johnbs":2zcr9xpo said:
Not sure what you mean when you say the shed supply is 8mm: is this 8mm2 conductors? If this is the case, you don't need to worry about cable rating or volt drop. If you're actually using the more ubiquitous 2.5mm2 cable, the voltage drop @16A will be around 10v, which is still workable.

Hi John, thanks for that. Its actually 6mm2 cable for the first 20 foot indoor run from an MCB in the CU. It then splits into 2x4mm2 armor cable for the outdoor run before being joined again in the shed. Another few foot of 6mm into a second CU with its own RCD. Regardless is sounds like it should be able to handle the load.

The motor start mcb sounds like a good idea as the compond mitre saw occasionally trips the existing 16amp mcb protecting the sockets.
Thanks for the advice, i have a very good idea whats needed now.

Chems":2zcr9xpo said:
If you mean this SIP 10" saw 01332 then I have that and it came with a 13amp plug and runs fine. It does blow the fuse every once in a while but they are cheap.

Yep thats the one. Thats interesting that you have the 13amp plug. I phoned up SIP this morning and they said it usually has to be wired into the wall by an electrician using a blue plug, which i read to be the setup john quoted above. Any ideas why yours came with a plug?

Im still slightly leaning towards the Kity419 because of the cost. Unforutnatly my wife recently wanted a new sewing machine, she wanted the £700 one but i managed to convince her to get the £350 one. I think that may come back and bite me.

Richard D":2zcr9xpo said:
I can answer that, after my quest for a new arbor spanner for my old (French-made) 419 took me into the innards of both machines.

They're completely different inside. The motors look to have similar ratings, and they both mount a 200mm blade, but that's about it.

Thanks Richard. Do you know about the actual operation of the machines? From what i can tell all the praise has been of the old machines. I would hate to buy a new built one to find its not to the same standard, or have been better off with the axeminster

sasq":2061txwa said:
Chems":2061txwa said:

Yep thats the one. Thats interesting that you have the 13amp plug. I phoned up SIP this morning and they said it usually has to be wired into the wall by an electrician using a blue plug, which i read to be the setup john quoted above. Any ideas why yours came with a plug?

I had a look at quite a few before I bought mine and they all had a 13amp plug. I'm sure a few of the other guys will chip in an let you know if theres have a blue 16amp plug or a normal one.

Richard D":3w4fypt7 said:
The old 419 is pretty similar to the newer, Chinese-made Axminster TS200, only built like a brick out-house, with a cast-iron table top (unlike the alloy Axminster). .

totherway round mate - the 419 has a cast aluminium top , the ts200 is cast iron

My SIP came with a 13 Amp plug but regularly blew fuses, so was modded.

Roy.

When I had the SIP - I ran it on 13amps no problems. Axminster TS-200 comes with cast iron top.

the SIP is large and can take up a fair bit of space. Personally, if its only for hobby use and your space is limited, I'd recomment the TS-200.

ByronBlack":17803e20 said:
the SIP is large and can take up a fair bit of space. Personally, if its only for hobby use and your space is limited, I'd recomment the TS-200.

I took a drive to look at the axminster today, looking at it i would say its just about the biggest i could get into the shed without being cramped. I think you have convinced me. The only thing i was a little concerned with was the miter as it didnt seem a tight fit. Not sure if its able to take the incras as they do look rather useful.

Back