Not another.....Name that Machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No2 wouldn't be an automatic dovetailer would it.doing tails & sockets at each end.

No3 is difficult.

Scrit":3fgv0arz said:
Inspector":3fgv0arz said:
#2 Box/finger joint cutter. (for drawers or boxes.) I think I see big saw teeth through the slot on the left side of the beast.
Very close, but not quite there yet. Think about the invention of a fellow Canadian and you'll have it

Inspector":3fgv0arz said:
#3 Guillotine for trimming paper, books etc. My other thought was a shear for slicing shavings for packaging.
Nope. It doesn't actiually trim anything, but it makes something.....

Scrit

Well the name on the machines are Robertson which is the inventor/maker of square socketed screws that bewilder the Americans south of us. Way better design than all the cross headed families of screw heads. Neither machine looks like they are actually for making the screws, so that leaves packaging for the screws instead. Are they the cardboard cutter and folder for the boxes?

If No 2 is by Robertson it must be a Pocket hole driller but you would need a big pocket to fit that in :D Maybe a dovetail cutter as Leigh who make the D4 are Canadian, one side does the pins, the other the tails

No 3 could be for slicing oyster veneers.

Jason

No 2 - Honing and polishing cutlery ????????

(I think we are seeing the back of it ???)

David

Shivers":3frzmvop said:
No2 wouldn't be an automatic dovetailer would it.doing tails & sockets at each end.
Yessir! It is a Robinson ZU/E Electric Dovetailer which could cut pins in one end and tails in the other on boards up to 18in long:

RobinsonZU_EElectricDovetailer3.jpg

Although at 20-3/4cwts it's just a bit heavier than the later Leigh dovetail jig

Scrit

mr spanton":3towpp19 said:
Would machine no 3 be a device to trim shingle's to size?
jasonB":3towpp19 said:
No 3 could be for slicing oyster veneers.
Well it is indeed a guillotine slicer, but I thought that shingles had to be rived along the grain otherwise they lose part of their strength. As for oyster veneers, heve they ever been that popular to warrant a 5 tonne machine?

Try thinking more mass production and how things were until the 1970s and you may get it. I'm sure Ian Dalziel would be in with a chance on this one!

Scrit

No 3--since it looks like a piece of production factory machinery--i'll take a guess & say its for guillotining frame parts,such as chair seat frames--or something close to that.

shivers.

Agian close, but actually too complex! Think about something much simpler

Scrit

jasonB":3vxwuclj said:
Slicing thin boards for fruit & veg crates etc.
Jason has it! The machine is a Robinson VO Timber Slicer and weighed in at all of 102 cwts (or a tad over 5 tonnes) and was some 12 feet wide x 9 feet deep. It was "specially designed for the rapid and economical production of box boards, giving increased output whilst reducing wastage to a minimum". The advertising literature goes on to say that it was capable of cutting 10,000 pieces of 24 x 6in timber per hour and in doing so would make a saving of 52 cubic feet of timber over using a bandsaw to saw the materials. The machine was loaded with steamed timber (boiler attended by a lad, no less) to make the slicing operation quicker and easier. Of course with the move towards cardboard and plastics in the 1960s machines such as this fell out of favour and are no longer seen in the UK, although I do wonder if any were exported and are still in use. after oragges and certain fruits still come in wooden crates

Thank you all for taking part and a Happy New Year to you all!

Scrit

Nice one scrit, thank you for organizing that. I'd never thought that orange boxes actually have to be made!

Happy New Year to you too.

I agree with Steve . Scrit is doing a great job with finding the machines and we all thankyou . But the cheating going on between Mel and Jason B amazes me :lol:
<~~~~Running for cover :lol:

Latest posts

Back