Norton 3X grind wheel reduction bush for Creusen - help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraemeD

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, I've got myself a bit of a dilemma! I've just bought a used Creusen bench grinder, and I'm wanting to fit a pair of those amazing (as recommended by Philly) Norton 3X blue grind wheels to it.

So what's the problem? Well, Creusens have a 15mm diameter shaft. and the Norton grind wheels (being made in the US) have a 1" bore. The wheels (which I already have) come with a set of reduction bushes, but only to imperial sizes....not 15mm. Bushes are of course readily available from places like Axminster, but only down from 1 1/4" (or 32mm) bore which is the standard in Europe....not 1" as required here. I can't locate anything suitable anywhere!

Today I tried making a couple of wooden bushes to do the job, but even after several attempts I failed to get the internal bore accurate enough.....it was either out of centre, or oversize (or both!). I guess it's just my lack of skill on the wood lathe, though in my defence, the chuck and centres I have are not conducive to working to sub-millimetre tolerances. In this case I think it is pretty important to get this accurate, or the wheels will be off centre and cause vibration. Wooden bushes are probably not the way forwards here I fear.

I'm now getting desperate....does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else successfully fitted these wheels to a Creusen?

Cheers
Graeme

Buy 5/8" to 1" bushes and wind the right amount of tape round the shaft to centralise the 5/8" bore on the 15mm.

The bush is only there to centralise the wheel whilst you clamp it so the tape & bush do no work once the wheel is fitted.

Bob

Thanks Bob.....it sounds like an easy fix, as the Norton wheels come with a selection of bushes, which includes 5/8"! Will this really be accurate enough to avoid vibration? I've had grinders in the past which walk around the benchtop due to their vibration, so I'm a bit cautious.....but if you think it will be good enough, it's certainly easy enough to try.

Cheers
Graeme

GraemeD":1v1948of said:
Thanks Bob.....it sounds like an easy fix, as the Norton wheels come with a selection of bushes, which includes 5/8"! Will this really be accurate enough to avoid vibration? I've had grinders in the past which walk around the benchtop due to their vibration, so I'm a bit cautious.....but if you think it will be good enough, it's certainly easy enough to try.

Cheers
Graeme

How can it not be accurate? you are only building up the diameter of the shaft by twice the thickness of the tape per turn. If you use something like sellotape, you will have very fine resolution per turn.

Bob

Fair point! Something applied uniformly (ie. with no wrinkles) should be fine. I suppose only whole turns are allowed, or there will be a slight imbalance introduced. I have some aluminium foil tape which could be quite good for the job.....kind of seems more permanent than plastic tape (or is it just me?!).

Graeme

GraemeD":f0rolg3o said:
Fair point! Something applied uniformly (ie. with no wrinkles) should be fine. I suppose only whole turns are allowed, or there will be a slight imbalance introduced. I have some aluminium foil tape which could be quite good for the job.....kind of seems more permanent than plastic tape (or is it just me?!).

Graeme

There is no need for permanancy! The tape is only working as you do up the flanges.
Grinding wheels are supported on their faces NEVER on the diameter. If you look at the mounting flanges you will see they are slightly hollowed ensuring that faces alone are gripped and via paper washers glued on the wheels.

Bob

Mmmm, ok. If that's the case then the bushes really aren't a huge issue. More a case that if the wheels run true, you're in business.

I was thrown off the scent as one of my other grinders has mounting flanges which have a rim that fits inside the wheel centre. I'm guessing now it's not a snug fit, but I'd previously assumed it was part of the alignment process.

Thanks for your help Bob....as ever a calm voice of reason!

Graeme

All grinding wheels should be dressed once they're fitted to ensure that they run true. That's probably why your other grinder jumped about the bench, it needed it's wheels dressing (badly).

Cheers

Aled

Another good point. I did try and dress them previously, but was never convinced it was done properly....I was maybe a bit cautious, not wishing t wear down my new wheels!

Cheers
Graeme

I can't speak for the Norton wheels, but if needed i seem to recollect years ago being able to obtain plastic bushes in different sizes for grinding wheels from a decent tool room supplies place....

Thanks Ian....you're not wrong, the problem is that the Norton wheels have a hole diameter of 1", which is common in the US, but not normally available in Europe. Creusen have a shaft diameter of 15mm which is not seen in the US, hence an adapter to match the two is unavailable. I've not had a chance yet to try Bob's suggestions, but will hopefully manage to do this at the weekend.

Graeme

Graeme,

I have had the Norton blue wheel on my Creusen for over a year and made up the difference between the bush and wheel with insulating tape.
After dressing it it runs very smoothly and it a delight to use.

David

David,

Many thanks for the feedback....that is really good to know. I can now have a try this weekend with full confidence that I'm doing the right thing!

Now, where did I put that insulating tape....?!

Cheers
Graeme

Latest posts

Back