Norms Unusual Biscuit Jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomorph

Established Member
Reaction score
I watched an old NYW ep the other day and meant to ask you lot about the strange biscuit jointer norm used. instead of pushing into the wood at 90 degrees this one was at an angle and hinged into the wood. As i've never seen one like it ever i'm guessing it was an early model. On top of that I accidentally deleted the ep so i can't look back at it.

Any ideas as to what it was?

John,

Sounds like the Elu DS140 which is now sold under the DeWalt brand. I believe Bosch also made one in this style.

I have the Elu DS140 and find it very good.

Paul

Yup it looked similar to that one... actually found another ep where Norm used it then another where he used a standard push in version but it looked really naff and crude compared to the current versions.

It's interesting seeing prototypes of models that have matured over time. You can guess how old this episode is with Norm back to using his real bench instead of the "assemberrrrly table". :wink: Also a lot of his tools look really wierd and clunky compared to todays models. Looking at the old jointer makes you think they made it out of old battleship plate armour and the radial arm saw looks like it could have been used in the French Revolution instead of the Guillotine heh.

Edit: I just realised how old the program must be... Norm mentioned when he made the deluxe version of his router table that he had used the first incarnation for seven years... and the episode with the biscuit joiner in he didn't even have the original shop made router table. He was using a metal one with a corrugated groove top. That must make it over 8 years old.
yahoo_surprise.gif

It's interesting that if you follow the link to Norm's tools and then look up biscuit jointers, it suggests that when Black & Decker took over Elu they discontinued the DS140, which they didn't, as my link above shows (although it might not be available in the States). Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read :wink:

Paul

I've been watching those ones aswell, they are from 1990 and 1991. Did anyone catch a look at the table top biscuit joiner, with the foot operated action! :roll: Guess Norm will never change...

Ewan.

Tarkin":1k4ct51u said:
I've been watching those ones aswell, they are from 1990 and 1991. Did anyone catch a look at the table top biscuit joiner, with the foot operated action! :roll: Guess Norm will never change...

Ewan.

Yeah... watched that one the other day. The table top pocket hole technology drill reminds me of this one a lot.

I don't see why we cannot see the 2006 version - You know the age of the series from how young Norm looks. I have the plantation shutter DVD from the current series as a reference point thanks to a buddy in the states

Barry Burgess":14r7c9lg said:
I don't see why we cannot see the 2006 version - You know the age of the series from how young Norm looks. I have the plantation shutter DVD from the current series as a reference point thanks to a buddy in the states

As Discovery Home and Leisure show an episode a day I'm guessing they ran out of current ones and are showing old ones to fill in at the moment. It's interesting as a comparison to what was normal back in the 90's.

For instance the lack of lasers on everything lol. Just goes to show the 60's sci-fi shows were right about lasers being commonplace in the 21st century... only thing is we use them to create stuff an not blow stuff away! :lol:

Yeah, I bought a cup of tea at a car boot sale on the weekend-it came with a lazer to show me how to drink it :roll: :lol:
Nah, just kidding! But remember I thought of that application first :wink:
Philly :D

Philly":1nohx3ag said:
Yeah, I bought a cup of tea at a car boot sale on the weekend-it came with a lazer to show me how to drink it :roll: :lol:
Nah, just kidding! But remember I thought of that application first :wink:
Philly :D

Many a true word spoken in jest... I remember reading about how you will eventually have animated adverts on cans as you drink them so your idea actually isn't far off the mark heh...

Latest posts

Back