Norm No More!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewwh

Established Member
Reaction score
After 21 years on TV the New Yankee Workshop is calling it quits. It's the end of an era for woodworking icon Norm Abram.*

In an unexpected announcement Abram admitted that he can achieve better results in less time with well maintained hand tools than he can with a workshop full of fancy production machinery.

"I just can't go on recommending that people buy industrial machinery for small home workshops, they'd be so much better off with bench planes, handsaws a set of good sharp chisels." said the bearded legend.

Abram will continue to appear on our TV screens on the 'This Old House' series.

Bless him, Norm is a bit of a hero of mine as no project ever stumped him
(regardless of how much was done off screen by others) he always made people believe they could do the project.
My biggest drawback and asset is that I always say yes I can do the job, then get home and think "how the hell am I gonna do this!" Then get on and do it anyway! :lol:
Biggest issue I have with American shows is the over use of nail and pin guns in furniture making, they have their place in construction but nice furniture deserves more consideration, surely?

Does this mean I have to shave of my beard now for mourning? :shock:

matthewwh":2dv3vzz5 said:
* This bit's real, the rest I made up!

Shame, I thought for a second therre he'd seen the light :roll:

I never saw much of Norm - never had the right channels on my box - but I've caught his show a few times round at a mates place. Almost every time though, he'd just finished making quite a nice piece (albeit predominantly with that blasted nail gun) and would then proceed to smother it in some hideous dark brown woodstain :?

Biggest laugh was he was supposedly showing us how we could make something when half way through he'd come out with something like, "and then we just run it through this $20,000 wide belt sander" - yeah Norm, 'cos we've all got one of those in the shed :roll:

It's a shame - much as he may be vilified for the machinery he always came across as a nice bloke, hopefully this will give Sky the kick they need to show more of the programs.

Norm, courtesy of NYW got me into woodworking and for that I shall be eternally grateful (even if the first time I saw it at first glance I thought I was watching a repeat of Kenny Everett doing his 'Reg Prescott' character).
I still love the show when I get to see it.

Vormulac":2vbu4vw8 said:
Norm, courtesy of NYW got me into woodworking and for that I shall be eternally grateful (even if the first time I saw it at first glance I thought I was watching a repeat of Kenny Everett doing his 'Reg Prescott' character).
Was Kenny Everett Norm though? :-k :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":typnpbsa said:
Vormulac":typnpbsa said:
Was Kenny Everett Norm though? :-k :lol: - Rob

Did you ever see them both in the same place at the same time..... I think not..... :lol:

Vormulac":1tiz0m1n said:
Norm, courtesy of NYW got me into woodworking and for that I shall be eternally grateful

Me too - No Kenny Everett though!

Don't get much time at the mo. Altho I do find TOH to be a very whistlestop tour of what they are doing. I'd rather watch Holmes on Homes.

WellsWood":3432j973 said:
matthewwh":3432j973 said:
* This bit's real, the rest I made up!

Shame, I thought for a second there he'd seen the light :roll:

I never saw much of Norm - never had the right channels on my box - but I've caught his show a few times round at a mates place. Almost every time though, he'd just finished making quite a nice piece (albeit predominantly with that blasted nail gun) and would then proceed to smother it in some hideous dark brown woodstain :?

Biggest laugh was he was supposedly showing us how we could make something when half way through he'd come out with something like, "and then we just run it through this $20,000 wide belt sander" - yeah Norm, 'cos we've all got one of those in the shed :roll:

The part you missed was that this was not his shop he worked in, but the home of the producers. It was the producers
shop .The reason he made two of everything was that the producer got one and he got the other,it was part of his deal with the show.So lay off of Norm....He is really a down to earth kind of a guy.He showed you how you could make things with a little encouragement.
An yes equipment dealers always try to have Norm use their tools on the show,give him ones to try out...I personally do not know if they kept them tho...He always seemed to try different ones week to week and say my this or that....Does not mean he did not go to woodworking shows and purchase them himself.I am sure he got paid well for his time....you would expect that from a T.V. personality.
I remember when he first started out in T.V. he was a carpenter on this old house.The thing was this show was on PBS ,non profit T.V....His T.V. host started advertising and was barred from the show.Then he started his show NYW.
He still worked on this old house,but with a different host,now he is dropping off of NYW an going full time back to This Old House.

Back